Heart of Darkness// part 1

--

"So you're up against Reggie?" Hayley says in shock as she stuffs her mouth with more of her chocolate covered strawberries. She lifts to Archie's mouth and he takes a bite.

"Wow," Archie sighs, "Thanks for sounding like you have faith in me."

Hayley swallows her strawberry in a hurry, "I do! I'm just... surprised. I thought Issac would've gotten the spot to be completely honest with you."

Archie's jaw clenched at the mention of the boy, "He did, but he refused. Then, he dropped out of the football team all together."

"He did what?" Hayley sits up straighter against the bleachers, "Did he give a reason?"

"Not to me," Archie snorts, "And aren't you suppose to know this? Aren't you two like buddies?"

"We are friends," Hayley says, "I just haven't seen him in a while, I feel like he's been ignoring me."

Archie nods like he cares before shrugging, "Can't say I'm sad about that."

Hayley rolls her eyes and leans back against her book bag that acted as a back rest, "Anyway, I have complete faith that you can beat Reggie. He's egotistical as it is, imagine if he actually became captain."

"I don't really want to imagine that Hayley," Archie sighs, and Hayley suddenly realizes that she is being no help whatsoever and that Archie is actually pretty stressed about this. She makes a mental note to be more sympathetic.

"Betty, you're positively radiating Nicholas Sparks. Tell me everything about this Trev," Veronica's voice is heard as she, Betty, Jughead and Kevin make their way over to Hayley and Archie.

"Oh, there's nothing to tell. Just one of Betty's sources, there's nothing romantic in the offing," Kevin rolls his eyes as the four get nearer.

Veronica sits down a step up from Archie and Hayley with Kevin and Jughead behind her while Betty sits beside Hayley who was beside Archie, "Why is everything weird here? Why can't a date just be a date?" She then looks at Archie, "What about you, Archie? How's life in a PG world?"

The five friends look at her in confusion and she rolls her eyes, "PG. Post-Grundy," noticing the glares she had started to receive, she adds in, "What, too soon?"

Archie ignores her comment, "Coach Clayton says I have a shot at being varsity captain. So I'm not thinking about anything else right now."

"And you're back to being boring," Veronica sighs and picks up one of her French fries.

"Are you, maybe, throwing yourself into football as a way to avoid your feelings?" Betty questions.

"I'm not avoiding anything, Betty, I'm trying to get my life back on track," Archie answers.