Chapter 2

He lost no time in getting friendlier and closer to her in the next few weeks. "Did ya know that pen's leakin? " Elle pointed out, as he leaned over her desk, chewing at his fountain pen seductively in a bid to get her attention. "Gosh! I didn't even know people still used fountain pens! Gotta remember to buy ya new pens.....An' I'll throw in a new shirt too, since that one's ruined! I'll get to it, right after lunch." the hard working receptionist muttered, jotting down a reminder on a post-it note as she spoke. "Bollocks! " the embarrassed doctor muttered under his breath, wiping ink off his face as he hurried into his clinic.
His next attempt at seduction was an unsuccessful one as well. "How bout lunch? Wanna join me?" he suggested, popping by her desk one afternoon. "Already had lunch. But, thanks for offering." she replied, without looking up from her laptop. She watched as he walked back to his clinic in a dejected manner. However, she changed her mind after seeing him eating his deviled eggs alone. "Sorry." she whispered to her priced possession- a photo of her boyfriend which she carried in her purse- as she stood up and walked into his clinic once the last patient for the day had gone. "Hey. Sorry for declinin your offer earlier. D'you want some coffee though? I thought I'd make some." she offered, as he hung up his lab coat before hurriedly putting on his jacket. "None for me, thanks. Got a house call. Mrs. Rosewater...uh, her husband...he's, uh...not feelin too well. I've gotta run." he excused himself. "Oh! Hope it isn't anythin serious. D'you want me to come with? I can give ya a ride there. It's close to where I stay. " she offered, following him to the elevator. "No, that's alright. Just have yer coffee an' don't forget to clean the coffee maker once yer done, eh? G'night. " he declined politely, flashing her a smile as he pressed the button for the ground floor. "Yeah...Will do. G'night! " she called out. For some reason, she was the one feeling dejected this time, as the elevator doors shut themselves. She shook it off, feeling her phone vibrate in her purse. Her face lit up at the sight of a text from her boyfriend, with the promise of a romantic dinner.