Chapter 29

"See? What'd I tell ya? Got through that sermon without anyone callin ya out or pointing accusing fingers, didn't we?" Elle whispered, flashing him an I told you so look and lovingly linking her arm around his as they walked back from church together. "Not quite. I wonder what he wants now!" Dr. Miller cried out sulkily, turning around on hearing the old priest call out to him from the doorway, beckoning to him to follow him."Sorry, but I wanted to have a talk in private with the fine fella who's made ya so happy, my dear." the fatherly Fr. Frederick explained, smiling at Elle before ushering a hesitant Dr. Miller into his little study behind the church."Would ya like some water or tea? I'm afraid I can't offer ya any coffee. That's the devil's drink! Elle said ya like scotch too. I'm afraid I refrain from alcohol.Sacramental wine's the only alcoholic beverage I partake in." the old man in the cassock offered, locking the door behind them. He motioned to the doctor to have a seat. "That's alright. I'm fine, father." Dr. Miller declined politely as he made himself comfortable on a chair facing the old priest, unsure about what he wanted to speak to him about.
"You're John David McIntosh Miller, arentcha? If I remember correctly, ya were the Casanova o' the boarding school. With that sleek hair, impish grin, amber eyes an' unbuttoned shirt...refusin to wear the school cardigan was an appallin, rebellious choice, might I add! It caught the girls' attention though. Ya didn't even spare the nuns, did ya, Johnny?" Fr. Frederick recounted, thumbing through a book that looked like a yearbook, which he then placed on the desk in front of the doctor. "How did ya...?" Dr. Miller enquired, astonished on hearing him as he remembered the yearbook from his boarding school days. "Fr. Frederick Pemberton, remember? Probably unrecognizable with all these wrinkles anyway. Age wasn't too kind to me. The principal of the school, Dr. Miller. Or should I call ya Don Juan?" Fr. Frederick reminded in a wry manner. "It's Doc Juan, actually...An' I dunno why I just corrected ya there...! But, how d'you know about that awful nickname?" Dr. Miller corrected, embarrassingly. "The ladies still talk about ya. In the confessional. They really regret the adultery, but they just can't get enough of this Dr. John Miller fella. Apparently, there's even a blog where they share their sexcapades!" the disgusted priest revealed.
"I don't think ya were s'possed to share any o' their private confessions. Although, I'm relieved ya didn't out me in front o' Mrs. Vitino, ya cunning man!" Dr. Miller heaved a sigh of relief, although he was even more cautious around the old man now!  "I wanted to. Don't think I wouldn't have! But then, I  thought to myself- he seems to make my Elle happy. An' she's already told me that you've been mendin your ways an' apologized on your behalf too...ya know, for almost killin me?" he explained. "She did? That's...so...huh! So, we're cool?" the doctor asked, anxiously. "Not exactly. Now, I dunno if ya intend to start up yer adulterous activities in the future, but I've been Elle's guardian ever since she was a naive teen who made all the wrong choices. An' now, she's a naive grown-up who still makes all the wrong choices, so I still look out for her an' I do not wanna see her get hurt again like when that  Marky Mark fella broke her heart...." Fr. Frederick whispered in a serious tone, resting his palms on the redwood desktop as he leant towards the doctor who shrank back into his chair in fright, gripping the arm rests of his chair on seeing the priest narrow his eyes and grimace at him in an unfriendly manner. "It's actually DJ Marx. An' I helped her get through that, by the way!" the frightened doctor sputtered, although he'd meant to make it sound more like a brag. "I don't care! She doesn't need any more heartbreakers in her life. Or womanizers or cheaters...or just, the wrong kinda men, ya know? So, I'm warnin ya, lad! Don't ya dare break her heart!" Fr. Fredrick warned, before showing him the door.
"So? What were ya two talkin bout?" she asked, as he slammed the car door, mopping at his sweaty forehead before buckling up. "Oh...I got a earful from the man. Really intense! Scary too!" he muttered under his breath, shuddering at the mention of their unpleasant, interrogation-style meeting. "Yeah. That's probably why I look up to him as a father figure, I guess." she explained her fondness for the cheery looking priest, while mumsy nodded in agreement. Both of them unaware of how frightening Fr. Frederick could grow whenever he unleashed his protective side.