Chapter 45

"I've got a bun in the oven." she exclaimed, when he got home from the hospital one night. "Ooh...an' I've got a hot pot cookin on a slow flame! Where d'you want me?" he misconstrued this as code for sex, losing no time in flinging his tie off and unbuttoning his shirt. "No, Mr. Horny Hornerton...I meant, I'm pregnant. We're pregnant." she whispered with a wide grin, pecking him delightfully. "We're pregnant?!" he cried out, matching her enthusiasm as he twirled her around the living room.
Days passed into months, and months turned into mind-numbing pain for both to-be parents. For the first time mommy, it was the pain of going into labor and for the anxious daddy-to-be, it was the excruciating pain of her nails digging into his arm as she clutched it in the delivery room!
"I'm fully dilated- 7...Maybe, 10 cms... I can tell! " she declared like a thorough medical professional. "How can ya tell? Yer the mum!" Dr. Miller enquired, raising an eyebrow at her declaration. "I'm a woman. We can..argh...t..tell when we're fully dilated...!" she explained, before letting out a ear-splitting scream that made him scrunch his face up. "Ya may be the first, love!" he whispered, trying to hold in his tears as her grip grew stronger.
"Fine! I'm a nurse first. Now, push...damn you, push!! Push like your bloody life depends on it, Elle Vitino! We've gotta get this baby outta ya...ahhh!!" she told herself in a bossy tone, taking charge even through the huffs and puffs. "Love, I think yer s'possed to let the father o' the child or one o' the doctors to tell ya when to push." Dr. Miller reminded her, gesturing to the medical professionals in the room who were working on delivering their child safely. "Well, the father of the child isn't doin his bloody job, is he now?! Where're those bloody ice chips I asked for, eh?! I need em, stat!" she ordered, startling him. "Sorry, I'll get right to em...sheesh!" he muttered apologetically and frightfully, glad to be free from her deathly grip as he rubbed the bruises left behind on his wrist and nursed his beet red skin back to health!
Finally, they welcomed a little baby boy into the world, cooing and coddling him as the nurse handed him over carefully to her. A tearful Elle clutched him close to her chest, while a proud Dr. Miller admired him and planted a kiss on his tired wife's cheek as he sat beside her on the bed.
"Aww...I hope he gets your gorgeous amber eyes, cuz I swear he won't be able to woo anyone with the borin ones I've got!" he smiled on hearing her mutter, careful not to wake the sleeping child up. "Ooh...an' fingers crossed, he doesn't turn into the womanizin type!" she continued further, flashing him a teasing and childish smile as he feigned amusement at her comment. "Oi...! I keep tellin ya- It's not genetic!" he snapped, rolling his eyes at her.

           The end.