Chapter 44

A few years later, they'd reconciled, landed jobs as nurse and doctor respectively at the same hospital, working side by side at St. Jude's and were currently cuddled up in bed at their new home, planning out their wedding reception, insistent on doing all the meaningful work themselves. Their pagers hadn't gone off in a while and so far things were running smoothly. "Keep to your job, Miller. Leave my toes alone, casanova." she ordered in a bossy tone, feeling ticklish as he let his bare feet mingle with her bare toes- playing footsie under the covers. "I know, I know....save somethin for the weddin night, right? But, I just can't resist yer tippety toes...!" he cooed with childlike innocence, going on about her irresistible toes in an obsessed manner, much to her amusement. He finally gave up when she swiftly and playfully kicked his foot away!
"Yer dad's a real hipster type, eh? I like im." Dr. Miller heaped praises on his fiancee's dad like he was more in love with him than with her!  "Well, that makes one o' us! Try livin with that god awful odour for almost your entire life. When he cheated on mum an' he left, it made my day...cuz I could breathe again...fresh air!" she muttered without looking up at him, fed up of listening to him singing praises while she absent mindedly browsed through a wedding magazine.
"D'you want me to unforgive ya?! Cuz I could do that! Don't make me, Miller!" she warned through clenched teeth, feigning upset when he proclaimed his love for his future father-in-law for the umpteenth time! "Yeah, right! Ya love me too much for that! Besides, gotta forgive the man someday, eh?" he caught her bluff, before taking it into his own hands to mend the daddy-daughter relationship.
"Is it alright if I uninvite Nina? She still gives me the chills...An' let's not forget the fact that she burnt down my mansion." he asked unnervingly, as he resumed his job of planning the seating arrangement. "Well, you've a new one now...so, quit whinin! Forgive an' forget, yeah? Besides...You've gotta forgive her someday, eh?" pat came her reply, giving him a taste of his own medicine! "Well, I'm just afraid she might keep me to that threat o'...ya know...cuttin off my balls! Ya do want kids, dontcha? An' what bout grandkids for mum, eh? Think bout the children, Eulalie Vitino!" he recounted in a horrified tone, narrowing his eyes at her as he spoke.
"The question ya need to ask yourself is if ya want kids, Dr. John Miller! Cuz I'm ready if ya are..." she whispered, with a saucy smile. "Oh...I'm always ready, lass! C'mere, you!" his voice just a murmur as he lost no time in pouncing upon her and sucking at her neck, eliciting giggles galore from her as they pulled the covers over themselves!
It wasn't long before they found themselves atop the roof of the hospital decked in their wedding finery (him in a tux, her in a pristine white gown and a veil that was in danger of being blown off by gusty winds!) at the special wedding ceremony thrown by the hospital staff.  "What took ya so long? We paged ya hours ago!" Dr. Williams, the best man, enquired.  "Uhm...uh..." Elle stammered. "We were havin sex in the broom closet!" her to-be husband replied shamelessly on her behalf, giving away too much info!  "Ahem!" she coughed, widening her eyes at him. "Love, I told ya before, sex is a beautiful thing...!" he exclaimed in his trademark manner. "You're not s'possed to see the bride before the weddin....let alone have sex!" Dr. Williams reminded, sounding like a wiseacre. "Maybe, ya aren't! Anyway, we're tryin to get a head start on havin grandkids." Dr. Miller retorted, before waving to his mum in the front row. He waved and smiled toothily at Elle's dad, who'd talked mumsy into attending the wedding too, even though she'd been hesitant about it!
  "Aww...I never figured you- the womanizer- to be a family man! But, I never figured my husband to be a homosexual either!" Sandra, one of the bridesmaids (along with Jess and Nina)revealed, quickly frowning at her ex-husband. "Well, I'm glad ya came outta the closet when ya did, mate. Takes a lotta courage!" Dr. Miller complimented and patted Dr. Williams who'd just come out of the closet.  "Thanks, mate. Means a lot, especially coming from ya. Give us some sugar! C'mere!" came the response from the blushing dentist, before he took Dr. Miller by surprise and smooched him, letting himself get carried away by all his praise!
"Just a few pointers? Use less tongue next time." the doctor (an expert at kissing) advised, not knowing how else to respond to this sudden liplock!
  "Alright, how bout we start this ceremony before he changes his mind an' commits adultery again!" Fr. Frederick interrupted mockingly, still eyeing him suspiciously when he finally arrived to conduct the ceremony. "Great to see ya too, Fr. Frederick. There's no chance o' adultery this time around though, that's for sure!" Dr. Miller promised, sealing it with a kiss to his beloved's hand which he clasped firmly in his as they prepared to read out their vows.
The ceremony turned out to be a tearjerker. A lotta sobbing came from the back row though, from the doctor's former patients- who, surprisingly hadn't been invited by either party and had only been notified about their beloved doctor's marriage via a wedding announcement in the papers!