Chapter 7

The sun was starting to set. Boarclaw had led them to a somewhat deeper part of the forest, wild woods. An owl hooted. Goldenheart's apprentice, Seepaw, pressed close to her flank, clearly jumpy. Darkshadow looked around. Meanwhile Leopardheart's eyes kept forward. Her son Brownpaw was her heels. Jaggedtooth's eyes checked the shadows. Almost expecting attack. Boarclaw smiled and stalked forwards, he was moving at a slightly faster pace.
"Hey slow down you!" Clawstripe snapped and trotted forward. His brother Sparkfire followed behind.
"Just give us our leaders and we'll be just as happy as you are to get you out of our pelts." Howlingdawn rumbled. Slowly, slowly, the sky was darkening and the moon began shining. Boarclaw looked up his eyes darted around, he was looking for something. Something rustled among the foliage. All of the patrols of many cats pricked their ears. Boarclaw let out a happy purr and turned on the cats. Then suddenly, cats exploded from the shadows, as fast as foxes and as loud and jarring as thunder. Boarclaw's claws slid out and he narrowed his eyes at the cats thst had followed him. They were fighting instantly. Darkshadow curled his lip. "You tricked us!" He spat. His daughter Crowwing, was grappling with a calico she-cat. While Swiftslip of AshClan and Dewfoot were attacking a mighty dark blue-gray she-cat. A reddish brown she-cat bit on the Dewfoot's dark gray tail. More cats appeared and launched themselves at the warriors. Jaggedtooth growled and turned wildly as cats crowded around him. Thornfoot, Tinyfall, and Fawnheart raced to help him, clamoring onto the cats. Darkshadow sent a cat running into the bushes. Leafpelt and Hazelheart attacked a light brown tabby tom, claws scoring his flanks. Lightspot bit down on a cat's throat. But they clawed her nose and she recoiled. They limped off, but Howlingdawn flung himself at the cat and delivered a death blow. A worried yowl suddenly sounded among the battle. Nightriver raced forward, covered in scratches. "It's mom! She's dead!" She wailed. Thunderclaw was seen ripping a cat's fur out in fury as they ran away from him in the moonlight. Boarclaw tackled Darkshadow to the ground. "Look at your precious clanmates now!" He sneered. "Cats will die in more horrible ways by the time we're finished with you!"
The WolfClan deputy's paws pummeled and pummeled his belly. He would not give up. The other Clans wouldn't give up. Lilytail roared out in fury and hurled herself at him, lunging for his back from behind, her claws sinking into his spine. Fury shone in her blue eyes eerily in the darkness of the battle filled forest. She heard a yowl escape from the rogue cat. Blazetoe and Eelpaw, were fighting a small pale sandy cat that had given Specklepaw a shoulder wound. Lynxpaw, Cloverpaw, Sparrowpaw, and Cypresswhisker were attacking three rogue cats.
"Do you think we'll give up clan cat? No!" Boarclaw snarled defiantly. A gray cat pulled Lillytail off of his companion. He snarled and swiped at her face.
"Mom!" Badgerstalk charged forward. Boarclaw heaved off of Darkshadow and went into the fray to fight another cat. Until Leopardheart pounced on him like a piece of prey. "Tell us where our leaders are you fox-heart!" She shrieked.
"Never!" Boarclaw hissed and swiped at her face, she yowled and tilted her head back. He brown tabby pushed her off with his hind legs. Darkshadow felt a slow flame of rage burn yet at the sametime, it was replaced by defeat. Cats were dying or already. And they had all been tricked like naive kits, lead into the sharpened claws of danger.
"Is chasing my cats lame and wounded, the best you can do to defend yourselves? Pathetic!" A cat sneered at Blackpelt.
"Which one of us is really pathetic?" He roared in an answering question and tackled the enemy cat, clawing his face and throat. Fallentooth raced for him. "Darkshadow! We have to leave!" He yowled. Nightriver and Howlingdawn followed by Patchfeather, Spikeflash, Sleekpelt, Poppypaw, Meadowstripe, Blueheart, Specklepaw, and Breezewing of ScarClan, retreated for the home forest on hard paws, splitting ferns and undergrowth.
A cat's weight shifted off of Darkshadow and he wrenched himself free, running and looking over shoulder to see some of the rogue cats turned in the undergrowth while other s stayed behind growling and caterwauling in victory. He heard the cats of the other clans fall in beside him, but they all didn't stop until they reached the safety of the open forest.