Chapter 1

Misty Tail was stalking a mouse, she caught it. Then, a weight crashed down on her. "I got you mom! I'm going to be the best hunter!" Squealed her son, Wolf Fur. Then, a ginger tabby cat, raced over and barreled into her brother. "As if Wolf Fur! I'll be the best!" She declared, puffing out her chest.
"We should have never left and the others! What were Pigeon Talon and Stone Storm!" Growled a voice bitterly. It was Light Mist staring into the distance of the pines, the mountains just faintly seeable. The cats who decided to leave, left the mountains after telling their kin goodbye, following the stars.
"Let's be thankful we haven't lost anycats on the way.." Weasel Spot meowed.
"Where are Dove's Pelt and Running Fern? Are those two still hunting?" Stone Storm asked. The two cats he had named appeared from a set of bushes with mice in their jaws. "We caught these!" Meowed the gray she-cat in a cheery tone.
"Good work." He meowed approvingly. Birds chirped and the forest seemed much more alive than the harsh bitter mountains, that seemed to carry endless cold and danger. Running Fur dropped the mouse at his paws. "You led us this far, have my catch. I'm not hungry." He meowed.
"Not hungry?" Misty Tail echoed. "You must be insane to not be starving." She meowed. The sun shone down on the forest.
"Come on. We ought to find a place to make camp. We've been wandering for two days. Fish Scar, gather everyone." Stone Storm meowed to a mackerel tabby tom who nodded his head and left to go wake a couple of cats dozing in the sunshine.
"Oh ancestors, are you sure this is where you want us to be? Let me hope when the sunsets, you'll assure me I haven't condemned these souls to death.." he prayed silently. Leaping Breeze trotted over to him. "We're ready to leave when you are Stone Storm." She meowed. There was the sound of moving paws and cats were standing up. He led the way to down and to a slight stream that looked to stretch on forever. He took a sniff. "I smell pine needles!" He yowled in awe. The others ran over like excited kits. Wolf Fur and Viper Strike bounded over. "Water!" Wolf Fur squealed and was prepared up jump in, but his father quickly grabbed him by the scruff just before he landed. "But I want to swim like Deer Snout!" He protested.
"We do not know if that water is deep." He meowed through his kit's fur.
Fish Scar took a sniff. "I smell mice! And birds! And rabbits!" He yowled.
"The ancestors have showed us the way!" Pigeon Tail cheered as the others cheered with her.