Clinging To Him {Four}

There was practically no one at school anymore. Everyone had cleared out. I was still waiting at the front gate like an idiot. Part of me hoped Dylan was just running late and was in a hurry to arrive that he didn't have time to call. I was sitting down on the ground with my back on the gate. I looked at my phone and it was nearly an hour since school had been let out.

He's a busy college student now. He doesn't have time for you twenty-four seven like he used to. I tried reminding myself. We were both in different stages of our lives. Dylan wasn't going to have a much free time as before where as I'd have plenty of time to waste. Our schedules also wouldn't always match with one another's. Things were going to be different and I really hated it.

Just then I was getting a call from Dylan, "Hello!?" He shouted sounding in a rush as soon as I picked up, "Max! I'm so sorry! I got called in right after class by my boss. Theres some important documents and paperwork we overlooked. There's a lot of work to be done. It's pretty hectic. I managed to get away for a bit to call you. I don't have time to hang out today! I'm so sorry! You aren't still waiting for me, are you?"

Without missing a beat I said, "Are you stupid? You really think I would just wait for you at school in this heat? I left after a minute of waiting."

"Oh... That's good!" Dylan said trying to sound cheerful. "Look, I'm sorry. Can we have a rain check? I promise this won't happen again."

I stayed silent for a bit. I didn't know what to respond. I was thirsty, hot, and sweaty. I just wanted to get out of the stupid heat. I felt my blood boiling from anger as Dylan just now had the nerve to call. Then again, I was more angry at myself for actually waiting obediently for Dylan. "Quit apologizing. You sound ridiculous. Why do you need to call me and tell me what happened? We both knew I wasn't going to wait for you. We're not dating or anything close to that. We weren't about to go on a stupid date, you hear me? It's not like you're the only person I can go out and hang with. I'll just find someone else who actually wants to spend time with me." I realized how petty I sounded but I couldn't stop myself.

"Max... Are you angry? This is my future. I can't just stop everything and-"

"Did I ever ask you to?" I asked with a deep frown on my face as I was about twenty seconds from throwing my phone in a fit of rage, "No. I have never once asked you to put me above all your other responsibilities. Let me repeat myself: We are not dating. Not now. Not in the future. Not ever. You don't have to call me to apologize for not being able to hang out. At most, our relationship together is just convenient. You're a body pillow when I need one to sleep at night. Don't mistake those late night calls for something romantic." I was rants by then so I forced myself to stop.

"... Okay." Dylan agreed. "I just wanted to make sure you weren't in the sun at this hour. I'll call you after I get out? I'll make it up to you. Maybe I can stop by after work-"

"Don't bother. I'll be out of the house the whole day." I said and hung up the phone and then sighed loudly. I knew that Dylan was most likely going to interpret what I just said in a bad way but I didn't care anymore. If he thought that every time I stepped out that I was in bed with someone then I didn't need to be around Dylan.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I took out my phone and dialed the one person I figured would make time for me. The voice sounded out of breath, "Hello?"

"Luca." I said.

"Max?" He sounded surprised to hear from me.

"No, it's Santa." I said sarcastically. "Are you busy?"