Chapter 1

I sit alone. Raven the nobody. Braving the cafeteria alone. I'm sitting at the very back table by myself. I'm your ideal loner chic. Yay, I've always wanted to be labeled.

I always sit at this table. Alone. I'm a nobody, and I like it that way. I try to be invisible, not that my eyes, hair, and name help that much. I have peculiar violet eyes that are hard to ignore. That's why I usually don't look up or at people. My hair is black, bordering on dark purple. Just like a Raven's feathers. My name is self-explanatory. I mean, really? What were my parents thinking? Oh yeah, my parents. I wonder if they're dead yet. Yes, before you ask, I don't know my parents. I'm part of the foster system. Joy to the world.

I pick at my lunch. School lunch can be deadly. You never know what that meat is made out of. I shiver just thinking about it. Yikes. I hear someone yell, "Go sit at the back table where you belong you little twerp!" I glance up, surprised. A kid is getting bullied by the captain of the football team, Todd. Oh, that's just the usual around here. But what catches my eye is the kid. He looks about my age. He has baby blue eyes and dirty blonde hair that's sticking up everywhere. His eyes look sad, though. Not because of the bully, but because of something else. I also get this sweet and kind vibe from him. Interesting. He's one of the few good ones. His worn jeans, old t-shirt, and battered tennis shoes tell me he doesn't care about how he looks that much. I look down again.

"Hey, leave him alone!" I hear a new voice yell. I want to look up so badly, but don't dare. Then I hear the door open and principal Adams voice floods throughout the room, stopping all chatter. I still don't look up.

"What is going on here?" he asks. I assume he's asking Todd this question. My suspicions are confirmed when I hear Todd say, "Nothing, sir."

"Good. You two new kids find a place to sit!" Principal Adams yells at the newbies. I feel for them, I really do.

"Yes, sir," they say in unison. I hear the door open and the principal's voice fading as he mutters about the kids nowadays being disrespectful. Bad start for the new kids. I hear two people sit down at my table. No no no no no no-

"Hi, what's your name?" I hear the knight in shining armor ask me. I'm about to say Pippy Longstocking when I hear another person sitting down. Then another. And another. And another. And another. I still keep my eyes on my food.

"So, let's go around the table and say our names and what we like to do for fun," I hear a girl's voice pipe up.

"Little miss I-won't-look-at-anyone was just about to tell me her name."

"Come on, you can do it!" a softer, sweeter female voice chimes in. I know that voice. My head snaps up.

"Nerd girl?" I ask. I helped this nerdy girl, who's about my age, last week. The head cheerleader, Miranda, was picking on her. Miranda and her gang of Barbie doll look-a-likes were devouring her. I had to do something. I had gotten involved. Like an idiot. But I had walked away before nerdy girl could tell me her name or ask what mine is. She has black glasses (occasional goggles from the science lab), and blonde hair in pigtails. Plus, she usually has a lab coat on, and a bunch of pink, too. Pink leggings, pink high heels, and one blue tank-top. She's practically begging to get picked on. But I don't think she cares. Odd.

"Yep," she says, her eyes twinkling with laughter and unicorns. I look back down again quickly.

"You two know each other?" the knight asks.