Chapter 2

I wish my English teacher, Mrs. Melly, would stop talking. She's one of the few teachers that I actually like, but seriously. It's the last class of the day, and my head is pounding. It's like there's a tiny person in there, hitting a drum over and over and over again. It started after I left lunch and went to my next class. 

Finally, the bell rings. I wince for two reasons: 1.) I really don't wanna go home and 2.) Ouch, my head. I stall by heading to the library. They close at five, so that'll give me some time. I immediately go to the young adult section and look for supernatural books. I could stay here for hours, just browsing. I start looking.

In about half an hour, I've got a huge pile of books that I can't wait to read. I sit down at a nearby table and start reading.

Before I know it, there's a librarian telling me I need to leave now. I check out the books and quickly stuff them in my bag, then push the double doors open and walk into the dark hallway. As I make my way through, I can't help but get this feeling. Like someone's watching me. I whirl around, catching a shadow jump out of sight in a rush.

"Who's there?" I call out. "I have pepper spray!" (I really don't....)

"Please don't use it!" the shadow shouts as it comes forward. I recognize the voice and face.

"Rowan?"

"Yeah. Sorry," he says.

"What're you doing here?" I ask.

"Yeah, what're you doing here?" I hear another voice ask from behind me. I turn around and see Claire with Nick at her side. "And what're they doing here, too?"

I look where she's pointing behind me and see Jack and Penelope coming up beside Rowan. I sigh, frustrated beyond belief.

"What're any of you doing here?" I ask incredulously. They all start talking at once. I can't understand a single thing they're saying at all.

"Lalalalala!" I yell. "You know what, I don't want to hear it! I'm leaving!"

I push past Claire and Nick, walking down the hallway once again.

"Hey! Just stop for one second, okay? It's just that....weird things have been happening to me since we met at lunch!" Rowan shouts after me.

"Me, too!" yells Claire. My steps falter. I stop and whirl around again.

"What kind of weird things?" I ask. My mind is racing with possibilities. No, it can't be. It's not possible. Not even a little bit.

"Wait, do you know something?" Rowan asks me. 

"What kind of weird things?" I repeat. Penelope speaks up.

"Ummm.....well, I was in the science lab and something really...unusual happened. I was mixing these chemicals, and I reached for this beaker but.....when I tried to grab it......my hand..."

"It passed through the beaker?" I guess, feeling sick. "And all of you have had odd things like this happen?"

They all nod, looking desperate.

"No, this can't be happening." I mutter, biting my lip in worry.

"So you do know something," Rowan states. I don't answer. Instead, I turn on my heel and run, my black mini-backpack bouncing on my back with each step.

"Hey, wait!" Rowan yells. I can hear them chasing me, but I don't look back. When I turn down yet another hallway, I see a door. I don't waste any time. I yank open the door, run inside, and close the door quietly. Then my mind catches up with me. This door wasn't here before, I'm sure if it. So....how did it.....

I don't have time to finish the thought because the door is yanked open by Rowan, with everybody else behind him. I back up until my back hits the wall. They all come in. This room is actually the size of the principals office. Claire finds the light switch and flips it on, then closes the door behind her.

"Okay, you need to tell us what you know," she says.

"You wouldn't believe me even if I did tell you," I say sadly.

"Try me."

"You wouldn't understand," I tell her. Claire's face gets red.

"Maybe you're right! I probably wouldn't understand a freak like you!" she yells, then immediately covers her mouth with her hand. "I'm so sorry, I just-"

"It's fine," I say quietly, looking down and hiding my face with my hair. Silence reigns until Penelope breaks it. 

"Hey guys! Look at this lever!" she says excitedly. "I wonder what it does."

Uh oh.

"No, Penelope, don't pull the-" I start to yell, but I'm too late. The next thing I know, the floor isn't there anymore, and I'm screaming as I fall into pitch black darkness.