Chapter 5

"You're the witch?" Rowan asks me. When I nod he says, "Jesus."

He runs a hand through his hair and looks at me, but I avoid his piercing gaze. I don't want to see those warm brown eyes go cold when they fall on me.

"Witches are ugly and evil," he says. I feel tears prickle my eyes, but I hold them back. I won't cry, no matter what. I gave up on pity parties a long time ago.

"I better go find a way out," I say quietly. I quickly head down the stairs and run through the hallway toward the back, where we originally fell.

"Raven, wait!" Rowan calls after me. I don't listen. The moment my hand touches the back wall, the stone moves to reveal a staircase. I hurry up the stairs. I hear the solid rock wall reform itself back into place, but I don't dare look back. I finally reach the end, and I see a door. The same door to the mysterious room that took us all to the cavern. I open it and reemerge into the hallway towards the doors that lead out of the school. Pushing through the doors, I look up at the brilliant stars. Then I run all the way home.

When I get home, I trudge up the steps and into the crappy house. Dan, my current foster-father, is a drunk. He's like 65, yet he doesn't ever wear pants. All he ever wears is boxers and a white tank-top that's strained. I sneak up the old creaky stairs and into my room, passing Dan's passed out body on the couch downstairs.

My room is definitely.....unique. I have a mattress in the middle of the room, but nothing to go with it. I grab the small, fluffy black blanket I have- the only one I have -and throw  it on the bed for later. I drop my bag in the corner and look out the one window in my room. If only I could live on the moon instead of this place. But I gave up on that, too. I open the suitcase that has all my things in it, including my clothes, and put my grey jacket in it. I don't have any pj's, and I wouldn't wear them even if I did. I'm too afraid to wear them during the night, when Dan could burst through the door. That reminds me. I lock the door and lay on the mattress. It's worn, dirty, and uncomfortable. But it's all I have. My stomach rumbles. I don't get dinner, and I didn't go to Anya's place today. She's probably a bit worried. As soon as the thought enters my mind, it disappears. Nobody worries about me. I chuckle to myself at the thought of somebody, anybody, worried about me and let the sounds of the night carry me to sleep.