Chapter 11

Raven's POV

I shut my locker and walk out of school. I can't wait for dinner tonight. I haven't been able to visit Anya all week. I sent her a note telling her I was okay, but couldn't come till Friday. And now it's finally Friday. Thank god. I don't think I can survive another day of school. I shudder just thinking about it.

I head down to the diner. I've been going there since I was a little girl, and I've been working there for a few years now. Anya has been my friend ever since I discovered her diner when it first opened. I was there since the beginning. I was so hungry, skinny, and sad that she gave me food for free. Though I said I would spread word of her diner to other people as payment. She gave me a bunch of flyers, and I passed them out to random strangers on the street.

Anya's restaurant is old fashioned. It's supposed to be like an old diner that everybody would hang out in, and everyone would know one another. It has that friendly atmosphere that nobody can resist. I'm a waitress there. I work late shifts, so I usually don't get home till midnight at least. But I start at about 5:30 every day, even the weekend usually. It's not like I wanna stay home all day. A shiver runs through me as I think about how that would go. I walk into the diner and I'm immediately greeted by the smell of fries and burgers. I sit at the stool in front of the bar and wave to Vanessa, another waitress here.

"Abby just left. Come on in!" she says, flashing me a wide smile. She and I are pretty close since we usually work together for a while. She leaves at 9:00, though. Her mom and dad are divorcing so they're both too busy wasting money on the divorce to help their daughter save for college. I nod in thanks and smile back at her.

"Thanks V," I say. I lift the counter-flip thing up and slip through. I head to the locker room in the back to change into my uniform. We each have the same uniforms, just a different color. Vanessa's is hot pink because she's girly that way, but I chose black. It's modeled like a student's from a long time ago, so it adds to the theme. A black leather skirt, white tank-top, black boots, and black and white football jersey. All the waitresses have to wear it. Emily, also a waitress, chose an aqua colored uniform. I quickly change into my uniform. Checking to make sure the door is locked and nobody is in here too, I use my magic. I return my hair to its natural style: wavy. I use magic to make it straight so that it covers my eyes more, and to make sure nobody recognizes me at school.

"Hey! You ready Annie?" I hear Vanessa shout through the door. That's her nickname for me due to my middle name: Anne.

"Yeah," I say, opening the door and stepping out.

"I will never understand how you do that," she says, shaking her head at me in amazement. "You walk in straight but then you switch."

"You do realize what you just said, right?"

She sighs but we can't help but burst out laughing.

"What're you two giggling about?" I hear a familiar voice say from behind me. I turn around to find Anya standing there. She has her blonde hair in a bun and a yellow, more modern, waitress outfit on. She doesn't work as a waitress, but still wears it nonetheless.

"Nothing," we say quickly in unison.

"Come on Vanessa. I know you're a gossiper and whatever comes out of your mouth comes out wrong. You can't hide it from me," Anya says knowingly. Vanessa flicks her long, straight black hair over her shoulder.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she says, walking away and getting back to work.

"Where you been this week girlie?" Anya asks me.

"I've just been busy dealing with some new stuff at school," I say, making sure not to lie. Technically, I'm not. I'm just not telling her the whole truth.

"Well do you got it all sorted yet?"

"I think I've done all I can do so far."

"Good cause I need you around here chickadee!" she says, her hands in her hips.

"I won't miss any more days," I say. "I swear."

She nods.

"Good! Now get to work Annie girl!" she says, shooing me away. I laugh and run off to take a table's order.