Chapter 17

Raven's POV

I slowly open my eyes, groaning as a bright light blinds me. I hear whispering.

"She's up," someone hisses. "Go. I'll take care of her."

My head pounds in sync with my heart. Where am I?

"Hey," Rowan says softly, his face hovering over mine. It all comes rushing back. Oh crap.

"Hi," I say wearily, sitting up slowly. I'm in a plain white room. The whole freaking bed is white, as well as the walls and curtains. There's a wooden nightstand on my left side that adds some color. I notice the bed is one of those fancy ones that have the wooden poles.

"Where am I?" I ask, confused.

"You're at Jack's house," he says. I nod in understanding. I looked Jack up as soon as we became a team. His family is rich, but his dad has been....not a great father the past few years. His wife, Jack's mother, died of cancer. Since then, Jack's father has buried himself in his work, providing anything Jack ever wanted. Except his old father back.

"How did you heal me?" I ask him. He swallows hard, avoiding my gaze.

"You were pretty banged up," he says. "So we called Amelia. She healed you. She says she's lost a lot of power over the years, but she can still heal people."

I nod.

"So how do you feel?" he asks anxiously.

"Fine," I lie. He smirks.

"Mini-Raven said you'd try that," he says. I blink. Then understanding dawns on me.

"That brat that thinks she knows everything about me?" I ask. He rolls his eyes.

"She is a part of you, you know."

"Not a significant part."

He sighs.

"I'm not gonna win this, am I?" he asks. I smile sweetly at him.

"Nope," I say, popping the "p" at the end.

"At least you're looking at me instead of my shoes," he says, chuckling.

"Well I do that cause you're shoes are more interesting than you," I say, keeping a straight face. The door opens and Claire leans against the doorway.

"Roasted," she says, laughing at Rowan's kicked puppy expression.

"How ya feeling?" she asks me. "Oh wait! I was told not to trust what you say about that."

I see the others gathered behind her. Penelope looks like she's been crying. I look at her, concerned.

"Come here," I say softly. She runs to me, burying her face in my shirt and sobbing. I stroke her hair as she cries.

"You-you-you-" she stutters, tears still streaming down her face. I peek at her.

"But I didn't," I whisper. The thing is, we've become quite close in the past few weeks. We don't know each other's deepest darkest secrets, but we've all spent a lot of time together. They're.....worried. I glance up at them, surprised.

"Why did you let me stay here?" I ask Jack. He gives me a "duh" look.

"Because you're a close friend," he says. I just blink at him.

"Come again?"

Rowan laughs and tells me something I never thought I'd hear. Ever.

"We're all close friends, Raven."

My eyes widen and I look at him like he just turned into Johnny Depp right before my eyes. I've never had.....friends....before. Wow, that sounded sad even in my head.

"Come on, there's lunch downstairs. We haven't eaten yet either. Amelia left a while ago, saying she needed to take care of something. But we've all been here since the fight yesterday," he says. Yesterday? Ouch.

"Yeah, lets go. I'm hungry," I say, smiling a bit. Penelope beams at me.

"You won't believe how amazing it is here! And the food is awesome!" she exclaims, back to her hold self again. I nod and swing my legs around to get up from the bed. Pulling back the covers, I see that I'm wearing the same clothes I wore yesterday. Thank god. I look up to see Rowan's face is red, as well as Jack and Nick's faces, too.

"We didn't want to...um-" Rowan starts awkwardly. I chuckle softly and Penelope giggles at their expressions.

"It's okay, I understand," I tell them. They all sigh in relief and I giggle. Then blink hard. Everybody freezes. Rowan looks at me, wide-eyed.

"Did you just-"

"Shut up."