Chapter 15

"Raven! Wait up!" I hear as I'm walking out of school.

"Penelope, what're you doing?"

"I'm talking to you," she says. I roll eyes at her.

"Really? That's the best you've got?" I ask.

"Yes, yes it is."

"Ok, what'd you need?"

"Um..... I was hoping we could go to the park and you could give me some pointers on how to control my powers," she says shyly.

"Yeah, sure."

As we walk to the park, she hums a song. The whole way there. Over and over and over again. By the time we get to the park, I'm ready to rip my ears off.

"Okay, let's start," I say quickly. We walk over to a nearby bench and sit. I look around and see that nobody else is here. It's pretty dreary today since it rained all night.

"Ok, what first?" Penelope asks, taking a notebook and pen out of her pink backpack.

"First, don't take notes. You have to feel it and remember it yourself. Your magic is an extension of you. So push all thoughts out of your head and just feel for once. Don't overthink it," I tell her.

"Right, don't overthink it," she mutters, closing her eyes. "Don't overthink it, don't overthink it, don't overthink it, don't overthink it-"

"Penelope, you're overthinking it again," I say.

"Right. Sorry."

I jump up and off the bench. Penelope does the same.

"Do you feel that....?" she asks.

"Oh no. Monster!" I shout just as the ground cracks open and a huge mutant crawls out. She screams.

"Penelope! Run!" I yell at her. "Call Amelia and the group!"

She nods and turns around, running toward safety. I face the monster again. It's a fifty foot tall zombie. It looks down and sees me. Uh oh. One of its eyes is popping out and it has no tongue. I wince. All it's wearing is jeans and a white t-shirt. Both are torn and dirty. His sea green skin has worms crawling all over it. I cringe at the insects, hoping they don't fall and land on me. Nobody is anywhere around here, so I get my powers ready. The zombie tries to pick me up, but I blast his hand away. Purple energy sears his hand off. He doesn't even flinch. The smell of burning flesh fills my nose, and I gag. I cough because of the smoke, and try to see through it. The hand dropped right in front of me when I chopped it off. I hear my name being called and I whip around to see Rowan and the rest of the six standing there in the distance. I scream out in pain as I feel a huge, strong hand wrap around me. I look forward again. It's the zombie. He's picked me up. The ground gets farther away as I keep going up, up, up.

"Raven!" I hear Penelope shout. But I can't answer. The zombie is squeezing me in his hand, and I feel my bones breaking. As I look loose consciousness, I send a spark of power out toward the group, hoping it'll save them.