Chapter 25

Rowan's POV

I'm nervous for school today. What's Raven gonna do? I'm worried about the other Raven, too. I can't imagine the torture she's going through right now. This very second.

"Class is starting. Please go to your seats," Amelia says. Ravens still not here, though. I know everybody is thinking the same thing. Suddenly the door opens, and Raven strolls in wearing her spontaneous outfit from yesterday- plus a black leather jacket. We all stare at her in awe, while she walks to her desk and sits down.

"I know. I'm awesome. Now can we hurry this along?"

Suddenly, the door opens again and Miranda waltzes in, form in hand. She doesn't look at any of us, just going straight to Amelia. I see Raven's hand twitch and then she's magically back to the usual Raven that we know. The one that wears ripped jeans, sneakers, and a grey jacket. The one whose hair is straight and smooth. The Raven that hides her emotions from the people she doesn't trust.

"Hi. I'm Miranda. I got a new schedule today that says I'm supposed to be in this class," Miranda informs Amelia, who just blinks.

"I'm afraid that can't be right," she tells Miranda.

"I'm afraid it is."

With that, Miranda drags an extra desk towards mine and puts it right beside me. She smiles flirtatiously, twirling a stand of hair in her fingers. In my peripheral vision, I see Raven roll her eyes.

"What's your name?" Miranda asks me, giggling. Again, I see Raven. This time she pretends to gag, along with Penelope and Claire. I almost laugh out loud.

Amelia clears her throat.

"I'm going to go talk to the principal. I'll be right back. Don't get into any trouble."

She walks into the hallway, closing the door behind her. As soon as she's gone, all the girls go to the right side of the classroom, which is the opposite of my side. Jack and Nick go to the back, while I have to stay in the front. Because Miranda won't let go of me. I stand up, trying to get her off. But she's a clinger. I grimace, trying to walk away.

"Where're you going?" Miranda asks. I fake smile at her.

"I just need to go tell my friends something real quick. Can you wait a sec?" I ask her. She nods enthusiastically, and I try not to cringe. She lets go of me. I walk towards the girls, who are now talking to the boys in the back.

"Raven, are you okay?" I ask her, worried. She rolls her eyes.

"Yes. I'm fine you doofus," she says, glaring at me. I blink.

"Whoa, what did I do?"

"It's not you, it's her. She just makes me so mad. I can't be me with her around," she explains.

"Why not?" I ask.

"I've gotta keep my cover. I've got to be invisible."

"Why?"

She sighs.

"Will you just stop asking questions?" she hisses.

"Never," I say, smirking. After a beat, I hear the door open. Amelia walks in and looks at us.

"Well, turns out Miranda is right," she says, surprising all of us. Except Miranda, who looks pleased. She stands up in front of all of us.

"Just as I thought," she says, smirking. "I also think you'll be interested to know that you're perfect little teammate Raven....is an imposter. I'm the true witch."