Chapter 18

It's Sunday. The day before the torturous Monday. I throw my hands up, exasperated.

"We should watch Men in Black," I insist. "Not The Vampire Diaries."

Claire nods, but Penelope groans.

"Come on! Please?"

"No," everyone shouts at once. Even the usually quiet Jack.

"But-"

"No buts," I say. She sighs in defeat. Jack has been letting all of us stay here this weekend, so we've been watching movies and eating a lot. The problem is, Penelope loves romantic lovey Dovey movies. Whereas those kind of movies make my head hurt. Everything is soooooo obvious! Why don't they just admit they have feelings for each other? It would certainly save all of us a bunch of time.

After watching Men in Black, I check the time. It's 9:30. I groan. I don't want to go to bed because then you wake up and have to go to school. Sighing, I reluctantly get up from the comfortable couch. The couch used to be a bright white, but now it's sort of.....orange and....a lot of other colors. I blame the food. Suddenly, Rowan perks up. I get a weird feeling that I'm not gonna like this.

"What is it?" I ask uneasily. There's a certain spark in his eyes.

"I've got an idea," he says excitedly. "How about we do a campfire thing? It'll help us bond more and become a team."

"Sure," Jack complies, shrugging.

"Whatever," Nick answers with his usual rude attitude. If I had a penny for every time Nick said "whatever," I would be in Hawaii by now.

"Yay! I'm totally in!" Penelope shouts, overly excited.

"Cool," Claire pitches in. They all look at me. I sigh, defeated.

"Well I don't really have a choice so....."

"I'll get all the stuff," Jack says, heading toward the kitchen.

"I'll help you!" Penelope shouts, following him.

"Claire and Nick can set up the fire and everything," Rowan says. I shake my head.

"I've got it."

Rowan looks surprised. I laugh when he smiles shyly, realizing it.

"I'll help you," he offers, though I know he's not going to take no for an answer. Nodding, I make my way to the backyard. There's a huge wall around it to make sure there's privacy. Nick and Claire come out, carrying logs and sticks. There's a huge pit in the middle of the yard, but no seats to go with it. Shrugging, I take some logs from Claire's hands and put them around the pit. After we're done with that, Rowan puts all the sticks in the pit. Not a moment later, Penelope and Jack come out the sliding door with s'more ingredients. Putting the bag of ingredients down, he turns to us with a frown.

"I don't know how to start a fire and we don't have a lighter or anything," he tells us. The others shrug. Apparently, none of them know any survival skills.

"I know how to start a campfire," I offer. "But.....I could do something else."

The others look at me curiously. I chuckle at their confused looks.

"Magic," I say simply. "I can start the fire with magic."

"Oh. I would ask if I could try, but I'd probably just burn he house down so..." Claire says, making us all laugh. Rowan speaks up.

"Come on, lets sit."

Each of us claim a log. Then I close my eyes, focusing on my inner peace (snort-I have none) and sink into the white space. Pushing away all memories, I concentrate on the magic coursing through my veins. I take the magic and shape it into what I want. I love making fire with my magic. It's one of my favorite spells to do. I open my eyes, only to see everyone staring at me in awe. In my hand is basically a fireball. Only, the flame is purple with a bit of gold mixed in. I manipulate the fire, sending it into the huge pit and making sure it shines bright enough.