Chapter 22

"Now....which one of you is the witch..." Bria asks, scanning the crowd. I quickly put contacts in before she gets to me. If I change them with magic, she'll know for sure.

"Don't act brave, cause right now it'll just be stupid instead," I tell Rowan.

My now green eyes hold Bria's when she finds me. I make sure I put fear in them and cower like a frightened animal so she doesn't suspect me. It works and she moves on to Rowan without a second thought. I breathe out a sigh of relief until I see the look in his eyes. The recklessly brave one he had when he saved Jack from that jock who was bullying him. Bria squints at him, looking suspicious. Rowan steps forward.

"Yeah, that's right. I'm part of the six. I'm proud to be! We could beat you any day!" he yells at her. Bria's face twists in anger and she shoots a bolt of green power at him. He dodges it, though barely. She throws another bolt, and this one doesn't miss. It strikes him in the chest, then transforms into a net that captures him in a split second. He cries out in pain, his body twisting inside the rope.

"I'm going to have so much fun making you suffer darling...." Bria tell him, laughing. I make my decision. After taking my contacts out, I take a deep breath. Stepping forward, I gain Bria's attention. She gasps when she sees the color of my eyes.

"You're the witch," she says. I nod.

"Let him go and I'll come with you," I offer. She studies me.

"Peculiar. You're not trying to trick me, are you?" she asks. I shake my head, being honest. She'll beat me. She knows it and I know it, too. She whistles and the net untangles itself from Rowan and jumps on me instead. I let it. My plan better work. The thing I'm gonna try is only an old theory that nobody's ever tried before: Splitting the soul in half. While Bria's busy laughing evilly and bragging to the crowd, I make my move. Taking a deep breath, I go to the blank white space. Then, I transition to my soul. The white turns black, and the void is filled with memories and emotions. Good and bad. Everything.

Bria opens a swirling green portal. Everybody stares at it in awe. She levitates the net so that it, and me, are about to go through the portal.

Taking a deep breath and getting ready do the pain. I break my soul in two, sending one half to Rowan and keeping the other half with me. Then the swirly green portal envelops me completely and the last thing I hear is Rowan screaming my name. I look around, realizing that I'm in a huge cavern.

"Welcome to my home little witch. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's much improved, don't ya think? Get comfy cause you're gonna be here a while," Bria tells me, laughing wickedly. I notice the net is gone. She grabs my arm roughly and leads me down some rock stairs. Opening a wooden door, she shoves me into a dark room that looks like a dungeon. In the middle of the ceiling, there's a rope. Bria rips my jacket off, then freezes. I guess she didn't expect all the tattoos I've got. Shaking her head, she continues with her task. She takes both my hands and levitates us so she can tie my hands with the rope. She steps back and and looks at her handy work, smiling evilly. She whistles and a large man with muscles and a nefarious gleam in his eyes comes in and grins with her. She looks me straight in the eye.

"If you don't behave, your neck will be the one with the rope wrapped around it, understand?" she asks.

When I nod quickly, she finally leaves the room. But not before telling him he can do whatever he wants with me. Well, now I know for sure I'm gonna be tortured. But hey, it's not like this hasn't happened before. Mr. Muscles shoves me back harshly. I almost cry out in pain, but stop myself. I won't give him the pleasure of seeing me hurt. They've already won enough today. Their ego doesn't need another boost. He pulls out a knife next, but I don't show him any fear. I just stare at him blankly. So here I am, dangling from some rope while I'm getting tortured in a cave with a villain that's probably gonna kill me soon.

Why do I have such bad luck?