Chapter 13

Rowan's POV

"Whoa," Nick says. We walk into the diner and sit down at an empty table. We saw Raven come in here earlier and decided to try and figure this out further. Well, Nick basically dragged us in here. We had been standing out there for hours because Nick wouldn't let us go home.

"Hi, I'm Vanessa. Are you ready to order?" a girl in a hot pink uniform asks. She has her long, pitch black hair in a ponytail. Her clear sky blue eyes stare at us expectantly.

"We'll just have drinks. That's all," I tell her. "I'll take a Pepsi."

"Dr. Pepper."

"Pepsi."

"Coke."

"Pepsi."

After she leaves, Claire suddenly blurts out, "Why do guys always get Pepsi?"

Huh. I never thought of that. Vanessa comes back with our drinks a minute or two later and we thank her. She hands the last one to me, but it slips out of her fingers and spills on the floor. Thankfully, the glass cup is okay.

"Crap! Annie!" Vanessa shouts. A girl in a black uniform comes out from behind the counter with a washrag in hand.

"Did you spill something again, V?" she ask, turning around. We all gape at her. It's Raven but.......what did she do with her hair? It's curly now. And it's mostly out of her eyes, so you can actually see her face. She doesn't notice us at first, and tucks a piece of her hair behind her ear absentmindedly. She finally looks at our table and stares.

"V, what'd you do to these poor people?" she asks without taking her eyes off us.

"I just dropped a drink. Again," she adds quietly. "Annie, it's almost time for me to leave! I'm tired! I don't know how you stay so long!"

"You're just not built for this stuff, V. Go home. I've got it," Raven says, smiling softly.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you!" Vanessa squeals, hugging Raven tightly. I have to laugh at the horrified look on her face as Vanessa holds on tight and doesn't let go.

"I know you hate physical contact, but I can't help it. I know you need the money more than I do, for sure," Vanessa says, letting go of her.

"I got chu bruh," Raven says, holding out her hand for a fist bump. She's expressionless. Vanessa throws her head back and laughs.

"We still need to work on our handshake," she says, still giggling like a little girl on Christmas. I don't blame her, though. Over at our table, we're holding back fits of laughter.

"Well this is what you came up with before, so I thought I'd try it," Raven says.

"I was drunk."

"I know. That's what made it fun."

We all stare at her in silence for a second before Vanessa breaks it.

"Ok, well I'm just gonna go now," she says, heading to the back of the diner. Raven watches her as she goes and then turns to glare at us as soon as Vanessa disappears. Her glare is seriously terrifying. I mean pee your pants terrifying.

"What're you doing here? Did you follow me?" she whispers/yells at us.

"Well-um-we-um-I-" Nick stutters.

"If you didn't trust me, you could've just said so!"

Nick finally schools his features.

"What? Just because you're rich means you can boss us around? You trying to pretend you're a regular person by going to our school and acting like us?" Nick explodes.

"You think I'm rich?" Raven asks.

"Oh, I know you're rich. Because I know who your father is," Nick says triumphantly. "Daniel Hugh."

Raven looks like he just ran over her, then backed up on her and repeated the cycle for a month.

"Dan? You think I'm rich because of Dan?" Raven asks. Nick smiles smugly.

"You mean your father?" he asks.

"Ok, listen to me when I say this: I'm not rich, and Dan isn't my father. Dan is not rich either. So shut your mouth and mind your own business," Raven says.

"Yeah, right," Nick says, smirking.

"How did you figure any of this crap out?" Raven asks him.

"Well, a paper fell out of your bag that said get groceries for Dan H. with 'father' in parentheses beside it. I looked it up and found a pic of a guy named Dan Hugh. He runs a multi-million dollar company and has a daughter that's 15. You're 15. Too much of a coincidence. Boom, I'm awesome," Nick says, arrogance coating his voice with each word. 

"Really? That's your evidence?" Claire asks. We all glare at him.

"It's a coincidence, you idiot!" I say. "I knew this was a bad idea. I'm leaving."

"Me too."

"Me three."

"Me four."

We all leave in a hurry, paying for our drinks quickly, and head out the door. Nick pushes through and walks away till we can't see him anymore. Everybody else leaves right after him.

"See ya!"

"Bye guys."

"See you later."

I'm about to leave when I hear the door open. Turning around, I see Raven walking toward me. Uh oh.

"Hey," I say nervously.

"Hi."

There's an awkward pause. Her purple hair sways in the wind and her violet eyes are fixed on the clouds.

"Sorry we spied on you."

She actually laughs at my lame attempt at an apology. I crack a smile at her.

"Just don't do it again," she says. She shivers.

"Do you need my jacket?" I ask. She gives me a look.

"Dude, I'm already wearing one," she says. I flush with embarrassment, realizing she's right.

"Um...well...I totally knew that," I finish lamely.

"Sure you did," she says, winking. Her eyes have a special twinkle that tells me she's laughing at me on the inside. I chuckle.

"Do you need me to drive you home?" I ask. Her slight smile fades and her eyes lose their twinkle.

"I'm good. I've still gotta work," she says. I push a strand of hair from her face behind her ear. We both step back from each other quickly.

"Um....I better get back to work now. See ya later Rowan," she says.

"Uh yeah....see ya," I say quickly, watching her disappear into the diner again. I walk home, wondering how I'm falling for her this quickly.