Chapter 8: Politics of Life

^^ Day 10 ^^

*Tris POV*

One of the goals of my ongoing therapy is to get me to be more comfortable in the regular world versus the safety of the secured wing where everything is controlled. I know they will be waking the last set of captives from their comas early next week. As there will be a new group of women starting their rehabilitation process, our group of captives must move on to our next step - independence. It is time for me to get ready for the next stage of my new life.

I look around me and see that other women in the program have used this time to work with the therapists in order to repair the relationships in their lives. Aside from Caleb, I have avoided doing this. For a moment I doubt my choices, but I know that I'd never get past him being with her. I push away the negative thoughts of Tobias and Christina that always creep back into my mind.

Tobias wasn't kidding when he told me that he was moving to the bureau. Over the last few days I have seen him a couple of times around the halls, once in the large cafeteria during dinner.

+o+ Flashback +o+

I am finishing my salad quickly as I glance at my watch. I have a few minutes before I need to leave. I'm meeting Michelle at her husband's hotel suite so that I can babysit their girls while they go out on a date. I have gotten to know her children well, they are very sweet. She has trained them to call me Auntie Tris, it makes me feel special. I think Michelle knows that too.

I take a huge bite of my salad and open my water bottle so I can take a sip.

"Hi, Tris." Tobias says awkwardly. He's standing in front of my table, with a tray of food and his work bag slung over his shoulder.

"Tobias. Hey," I murmur. I feel my stomach drop at seeing him. Even being close to him is still painful for me. I sit quietly and wait to see if he will just leave.

"Um, I can see you are almost done, can I sit with you until you have to go?" he pauses to look at me as I frown. This is not what I want. I don't want to spend time with him. "Please." He finishes.

I clear my throat, "I really need to get going, us spending time together...is not what I want." I look up and see the pained expression on his face. For a split second I feel bad for hurting him. And then I remember all that has happened.

He sits down anyways in the seat across from me. I look at him with my lips pursed.

"I know you don't want to see me, or talk to me, or basically acknowledge I exist...but I'm a person. It kills me that you are here and you won't let me try to fix this." He finishes while sounding so frustrated.

The facial expression he is making tells me he is starting to get annoyed with me or maybe with this situation as a whole

Tough shit.