Chapter 20: That Video

+++o+++ +++o+++

Chapter Disclaimer:

This chapter includes mature adult themes. Topics include depression, suicide, as well as adult consensual sexual situations.

At the start and end of EACH adult sexual situation I will use this symbol: /XO/

+++o+++ +++o+++

Chapter 20: That Video

^^ Moments Later ^^

Date: Two months, and one week+ since Tris was found

*Tris POV*

You could hear a pin drop in the control room, I sit in my chair, my back completely straight with my hands in my lap. The screen is frozen on the image of James holding our son. Tobias's son. It makes me ill to see how loving and comfortable that man is with our baby.

There is an unbearable silence in the room. Everyone is completely still: the orphanage staff, Johanna's small political team, the law enforcement members, and especially Zeke and Amar. It is as though everyone is waiting to see what Tobias and I will do. Even the IT guys that have always been loud and boisterous are silent now.

I can't stop staring at the screen, looking at JJ. That's him – that is our baby.

Now what? I can't even bring myself to think about James's message to me. He sounded so calm, and callously cheerful. I know that everything is falling apart around him. Now that he has kidnapped a baby, it is without question that he is aware that his life as he knows it is over. So the question now is what will a man who is losing everything do? I shudder thinking that my son is not safe with him.

Tobias clears his throat; the entire room quickly looks at him, as though waiting to see what on earth will happen next.

Tobias moves to stand closer to Johanna. "So, Tris and I checked out of the hotel this afternoon, Johanna...you said you have a room for us on your reserved staff floor...?" Tobias says, only looking at her.

"Yes, Jonathan had two keys made – it is room 302C on the same floor on which I am staying for this visit. I thought it would be beneficial if we all were in close proximity," she says while motioning for Jonathan to hand us each a key to our room. I am guessing after she learned we were back together, she put us in the same room. "You guys have the only other suite on our floor; I am in one on the other side of the hall. My room is 316C, in case either of you needs to find me."

Johanna looks at me kindly when saying the last part. I nod at her in thanks.

Tobias thanks her and then speaks. "Tris and Zeke, may I have a word privately?"

Both Zeke and I nod, I feel unease in the pit of my stomach. I've decided that I'd rather see Tobias throw a chair across the room than the way he is acting now.

As we get up to follow him, Tobias stops to address everyone, clearing his throat. "Why don't we agree to meet here tomorrow at eight am? We can then go over next steps regarding James's video demands."

Everyone in the room agrees that time works, and many will be staying as they are working on other projects to handle this situation. They still have the other orphanage children and the comatose women that need help.

Zeke and I silently follow Tobias to the exit. We had dropped off the travel backpacks we have been using in the reception area next to the exit. Tobias silently picks up his bag and hands it to Zeke. He still has not looked at me even once.