Chapter 15: Starting Her Mission

^^ The Next Day ^^

*Tris POV*

"Tris, are you sure everything is ok? You seem a little off today," James frowns as he leans across the table to gently grasp my hand. "Are you nervous about your doctor's appointment?"

I meet his gaze as my free hand lifts the orange juice glass to my lips, buying myself time to formulate an answer.

"I'm fine, James. Although you may be right, I'm more nervous about my appointment then I realize. I know he is a doctor, but I am still uneasy; it being such a personal exam. Being from Abnegation will always affect how I look at things."

He smiles at me with understanding, "Again, I am so sorry I have been so busy these days. I feel terrible I can't be at your appointment," clearing his throat he looks at me, "I've got something to tell you."

I raise my eyebrows for him to continue. After what I found in his secret safe yesterday I can only imagine what this man has to say to me.

"I am flying out this late afternoon, we are having serious issues with the campaign and I have to be in Providence for at least one week. I hate leaving you, but I much rather settle this now so that after the wedding we should be able to enjoy a honeymoon." He leans over to kiss me on the lips.

I meet his kiss and then smile, "Well, thank you for telling me. I am not happy but I do understand how important your job is. A week shouldn't be too bad. I have actually not been feeling that well, I am hoping this doctor will be able to rule out the flu or something like that."

As James begins talking about how wonderful Dr. Young is, and then his trip details; it takes all of my effort to sit and smile at him with a calm face as my mind wanders to my own issues.

I may have a baby? Correction, Tobias and I may have a baby?! I may be a mother?

On one hand I am furious at James, what he did to me regarding Tobias's letter was not OK. It's unacceptable to manipulate me in that way. On the other hand, I know that he is extremely jealous of Tobias and although despicable; I can see what his reasoning was to hide that letter. He's controlling and terrified of losing me.

I'm also extremely disappointed about the proof I saw about Mrs. Jones and the leak of information. But let's be serious - no matter what your political affiliation...it's politics. And sometimes people fight dirty.

They are politicians after all.

The bottom line, I know I need to deal with James, and I will when the time is right.

I am trying to compartmentalize my issues with him as I'm much more concerned with the possibility my baby is out there.

The bottom line, I am recognizing my limitations. I can't handle everything at once. Period.

I'm going to put a smile on my face when I see Dr. Young this afternoon. For once and for all, I am going to test just how screwed up James may be.

"Tris?" he says, a small frown on his face, "did you hear me? I know it is putting a lot on your shoulders but we need move forward with the wedding planning since it is right around the corner. I have already given the wedding planners a list of my preferences, so if you are opposed to something we can talk about it."

Who is he kidding? Like I will get to have a say in anything regarding his wedding.

If there even is a wedding that is. It's not looking good.