Chapter 1

Jenny's POV

I wake up on the balcony to Jerome shaking me.

"Hm?" I say.

"Why are you out here?" he asks.

"Haven't you noticed me out here the other nights all this week?" I snap.

"Cut the attitude. It's Mitch's birthday."

"Oh, yeah. I need to go to the store with Lilac to get something. Will you cover for us? Just say that we're recording something in the basement and keep him upstairs?" I lean out and kiss his cheek. "Please?" He leans in and puts his mouth on mine.

"Okay. Go get Lilac up though. Just make sure you don't wake Mitch up."

"Okay, thanks, babe."

"No problem, pumpkin. I'll also keep and eye on Lily," he says as he laughs and runs over to pick her up.

I walk across the hall to Lilac's room. I open the door and silently wake Lilac up. She gets up, we get ready and get going.

We get to the ring shop and buy Mitch's new wedding ring. We make sure it will fit and make sure it's plain.

"Alright Lilac, what are we getting engraved into the ring?" I ask. "I'm paying for the engagement, though."

"Power Moves Forever and then a heart on both sides of the words."

"Sounds good."

We get the ring engraved and pay. We head back home. When we get there, we sneak in and act like we're coming back from the basement. Lilac hid the ring in her pocket. She's gonna give it to him later today.

"Hey!" Jerome says, pickind me up.

"Hi," I say in a bummed tone.

He pulls me into our room. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I lie with a shrug. What could I possibly do to get my mind off of Mom and happier?

"Jenny," Jerome says flatly.

"Nothing!"

"Alright," he says as he pulls me out the door.

"Happy birthday, Mitch!!" I yell.

"Thanks!" he says. He seems really joyful today.

What could make me happier, get my mind off of Mom?