Chapter 7

Jerome's POV

Mitch and I get back from my birthday breakfast. I walk into my room where Jenny is sleeping on the bed. Lily is crawling all over the floor.

"What are you doing?" I say to Lily. She squeals with a laugh. "What's Mommy doing?" She points to Jenny. "You're goofy."

I take a long look at Jenny. Tear stains on her cheeks. Why? I walk over and shake her.

"Woah!" she says.

"Hi," I say.

"Oh...Hey," she says tiredly.

"Mitch told me."

"Happy birthday? Because it is your birthday."

"No. Something awful. That I'm not happy about."

"What is it?"

"You. Drinking," my voice cracks.

"Jerome....I'm so sorry."

"Why would you do that?" Hot tears sting my eyes.

"Jerome, please don't cry. I just couldn't take mom's death. I was depressed-"

"Why didn't you tell me?! I could've helped you!"

"Jerome, this was something I needed to on my own-"

"Way to do it alone! Get Adam to get you alcohol! So independent, I see. DO YOU REALIZE THAT YOU COULD'VE DIED!!!"

"Jero-"

"Don't 'Jerome' me! I can't lose you, Jenny! I can't! I would be dead without you!!"

"How?!"

"You're my all," I start to whisper,"I can't lose you. If you were to have died...I would've been torn to pieces. I can't afford to lose you. Lily can't afford to lose her mother." I pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Jerome...I-I-I'm s-sorry. It won't happen again. I promise."

"It better not happen again!! Oh, Jenny."

I walk over to her and hug her. She starts sobbing as I do as well.

"I'm sorry."

"Sshh. I know you are. I accept your apology. Just remember: alcohol is never the answer."

"I know,"she says. "Let's go do something. It is your birthday."

"Alright," I say, wiping my tears away. But they keep coming. Jenny pulls my hands away from my eyes and she wipes them. Then she fits her mouth to mine. Tears drip down her cheeks and mine.

Jenny and I go to the local mall. We walk around, hand in hand.

"Let's get our rings engraved!" she says.

"What should we get engraved onto them?" I ask.

" 'Bacca&Rainbow' for your username on MineCraft and mine, too. ASFJerome AKA Bacca with CaptainRainbow."

"Perfect."

We get our rings engraved and go home.