Chapter 31

Jerome's POV

Jenny walks back into our room and grabs the thermometer.

"What's that for?" I asked worriedly. "Lily isn't sick is she?"

"No. Lilac is. I need to take her temperature. I'm gonna be taking care of her if she's sick. I'll need you to take care of Lily, please," she says.

"Okay."

She walks out the room. I go into Lily's room and check on her. She's just messing around in her playpen.

"What are you doing?" I say. She giggles and talks gibberish.

"Ul oohh eeekkkk!" she says.

"What does that mean? I don't speak Lily!"

Jenny comes rushing in.

"Something wrong?" I ask.

"Yeah," she says. "Lilac has a fever. We need to take her to the hospital." She shows me her temperature.

"It's only at 100.9," I say.

"Yeah. But she's pregnant. She can't endanger her baby. I gotta go. I love you," she says. She gets up on her tiptoes and kisses me lightly.

Mitch comes in to my room a while later.

"Hey Biggums," he says. He sounds worried.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing."

"Mitch, I'm your best friend. I know something's up."

"I'm worried about Lilac and the baby. They had to go to the hospital."

"Why didn't you go?" I ask.

"Lilac told me to stay. She said she would be okay."

"She will. I'm not he doctor or anything, but I think they're just gonna give her some meds."

"Jenny's the doctor," he says with a laugh.

"She's wanted to be a doctor for while. She's learned a lot on that subject now that she's a mom. Lilac will too. But I think she might want to go to college..."

"Why shouldn't she?" Mitch says.

"Well..."

"You don't want to see her go away for a long time. And you don't want her to go to a college far away."

"Well that and she's a mom, What about Lily?"

"Yeah. She might not want to go to college."

"Yeah. Should we record?" I say.

"Sure," Mitch says and we get started on recording.