Chapter 6: melt

Whiskerpaw smiled as she hopped out of the thorn tunnel. Moontail padded ahead of her, sniffing the air. They padded up to the river and Whiskerpaw stepped onto it. Suddenly her paws lurched from under her and she fell in. The ice cold water wrapped around her pelt and she panicked, flailing her arms. She opened her eyes and saw the darkness surrounding her. her breath escaped her lips and she breathed in water. Suddenly she felt herself get yanked by the scruff. She gasped as moontail pulled her out of the river. She threw her on the shore and she lay there, vomiting water from her mouth. Moontail stroked her back as she did. When whiskerpaw had finished moontail helped her up. ''Come on" she said letting her lean on her shoulder "let's get back to camp."

she stumbled into camp and cloudstorm, who was guarding the camp barrier. "What happened?" he said, helping moontail carry her over to the medicine cat den. Mouseseed rushed out. "she fell into the river" moontail said. Mouseseed directed moontail to put her into a nest. She left for a moment then came back with a flat stone. "there isn't really any herbs i can use" she said "but i know how to help your lungs." she sat whiskerpaw up and placed the stone on her chest. She laid her back down then put her paw on the stone. "try and take a deep breath" Whiskerpaw did and her chest felt like it was on fire. "do this a couple more times please" she asked. Whiskerpaw did. "your lungs are still pretty strong" she said leaving her in the nest.

"you will have to stay in here though, so i can watch you for a while" She looked over to moontail "will you please get me a mouse?" Moontail nodded and padded away. Pebblestripe padded around anxiously, taking a sniff of whiskerpaw's fur. "it would be better for her to rest" Mouseseed said pushing her away. She handed her a poppy seed "you too" pebblestripe left the den and moontail came back in with the mouse she nodded then walked away, sorrow in her eyes. Mouseseed took the mouse and started to chew it up ""are you hungry?" she said "you have not eaten yet today" she walked over and fed her the mushed up mouse. "you will be fine soon enough, don't worry"

_________________________##***##__________________________