chapter 17: Puddles

FlameFeather ran to a old looking tom. He would probably be an elder in the clans. He had rough brown fur with mud in it and hazel eyes. His whiskers were bent and some of his ribs showed. A great smile spread across his face as he recognized FlameFeather. "Flame?" His clear voice surprised CrowFur. "Yes it's me StoneTeller" CrowFur almost gasped. He had heard stories of the tom. How was he still alive? He looked at the other cats after a moment "Ah, hello" he said. His accent also surprised CrowFur. Some of the cats in thw clans had it but, not as strong as his. "Hello cloudstorm said. "Are these your kits?" He asked tilting his head at FlameFeather who laughed. "No, This is CrowFur, Whiskertail, and cloudstorm. Whiskertail and CrowFur are Pebble's kits. StoneTeller smiled "with Grass I presume? And so strange names..." FlameFeather nodded "The clans have shorter names then ours and I'm actually FlameFeather now" she said awkwardly. They chatted like that for a moment before Eagle interrupted "StoneTeller" he said "I believe the waves are gone for the day, may I hunt?" StoneTeller shook his head "we still have an eagle and besides these cats will want to know their kin" CrowFur stopped licking his paw. "W-what?" Whiskertail asked.

StoneTeller nodded "there is a lot to tell you" he said "when we first agreed to leave I told pool I was going to stay behind, when she started to give birth she asked me to keep one, so I did" Eagle stepped forward StoneTeller "y-you told me my family was dead!" He yelled "I-I thought you where all I had left! How could you!? Taking my whole life from me for what? Company!?" He ran out of the cave "I wish I had been taken by that wave!" StoneTeller looked confused "w-what did he mean?" He asked. FlameFeather shook her head. "N-night he, he got t-taken by one of those, those waves" she turned her head away from StoneTeller. Her voice sounded shaky as she asked "why are there waves even coming through here?" StoneTeller shrugged "It started a few days after the waterFall disappeared, the water is barely drinkable, it tastes fowl" he replied. StoneTeller got up and started to walk out of the smaller cave. Everyone else followed him out into the main cave. Eagle was sitting at the edge of the cave entrance looking out on the mountains. CrowFur stayed behind while StoneTeller and FlameFeather padded over to eagle.

CloudStorm sat down next to him. "I don't know why we even came here" cloudstorm sighed as he watched the three cats talk. "Maybe you shouldn't of come then!" CrowFur snapped at him before getting up and walking over to Whiskertail. Cloudstorm had hurt in his eyes as CrowFur laid down next to Whiskertail. Whiskertail looked annoyed. She was about to say something when FlameFeather walked back over. StoneTeller followed her and after a moment Eagle came over dragging an eagle. He plot it into prices and gave everyone a small bit. They finished quickly and the sun started going down. "I'm sorry we don't have any moss anymore" StoneTeller said as he cleared out some of the dips in the ground. "Sleep out here tonight eagle, goodnight" StoryTeller said before he disappeared in the other cave. Eagle laid down on the other side of the cave. CrowFur was thinking about saying something, but Whiskertail asked him to sleep by her first. CloudStorm laid next to CrowFur and turned his back to thw rest of the cats. CrowFur laid down in his own stone nest and fell asleep.

______________________##***##______________________