chapter 7: slush

Crowpaw shivered in his nest as he opened his eyes. The moon was almost at it's full and he could see it through the den roof. He missed his sister's body next to his. He scooted over closer to Tinypaw then settled down again. He heard the rumble of thunder in the distance great, more snow! he thought as he closed his eyes again. He woke up to a sharp prod in his side he opened his eyes and saw her eyes filled with excitement. The sun reached through the branches and made her fur shine. "i forgot to tell you yesterday, I'm becoming a warrior today!" she ran around the den for a moment. "That's great!" he said. Tinypaw sat back down. "when do you think Whiskerpaw wil come back in here?" she said "i don't want you to be alone!" she sTaid laughing. IT had already been several days since his sister fell into the frozen riverCrowpaw shrugged as he went to step outside, unexpectedly water fell onto his head. "what?" he mumbled looking around. Tinypaw poked her head out .

"oh! It's starting to rain again!" she said. Crowpaw looked at the sky, the sun was covered by clouds and large rain drops fell from it. Darkear rushed up to him "i'm taking you both out today" he said as a rain drop dripped from his ear. "in this rain?" Tinypaw asked. Darkear nodded "i would rather be in my warm, dry nest to. Don't worry" he said. They walked out of the den and stepped into the clearing. The snow below their feet had turned to muddy slush. They walked​ out of the camp and into the forest, they started to make their way to the river, but suddenly Tinypaw stopped "do you hear that?" she asked as they padded forward. Suddenly the river appeared in front of them. A rushing noise came from it. The water was completely melted and was moving quickly. The river was also swollen bigger than it's normal size. Darkear sat down "well, what do we do now?" he asked them.

"well we should report t-this to foxstar" crowpaw said. They slowly walked back to camp and as they got their the rain stopped. Darkear picked his way over to the leader's den. He emerged a moment later with him. Foxstar got onto the rock pile and called for the cats to gather. ONce they did he spoke "The river has melted completely. i need a patrol to find the stepping stones and to see if they are usable" he paused "Moontail and grasstail can do that and orangespot and fishpool, you two can start teaching the apprentices how to swim. And moontail you can take them out when the rain has stopped for specials fishing practice. Also until the rain has ceased the gathering will be delayed a night." he stopped as a rain drop fell on his nose "there is also one last thing i need to do, make a new warrior"

_________________________##***##__________________________