One Last Dance (Chapter 13)

LAURA's POV:

Ness and Delly brought me to their room and once they shut and locked the door, Rydel started jumping up and down.

"Oh my gosh," she yelled. "I knew you still wanted him!!"

I rolled my eyes.

She continued. "What happened in there? Why'd you scream?"

I showed them my elbow. "I fell down from standing on the toilet to get Ross a towel. And as I fell, I hit my elbow against the hot part of the curling iron."

"Oh," Vanessa said. "So you burnt yourself?"

I nodded.

Her face softened. "You poor thing! I've done that before and it sucks like Hell."

I laughed. "Well, it did definitely suck but Ross helped me up so I'm fine now."

"About that..." Delly started. "Not that I'm complaining, but what made you take him back so easily?"

"Well........."

~~Flashback~~

I furrowed my eyebrows and leaned my head to the right. "Hey! Aren't you supposed to be at school?"

"Aren't you supposed to be at school too," he asked.

I rolled my eyes and pushed him back by his shoulder. "I told you already. I slept late."

He laughed. "Then I guess I slept late too."

I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Nah. I'm kidding. I just... didn't feel like it today."

I nodded. "I understand."

"You do?"

I nodded again then frowned. "Was it because of me?"

He didn't say anything but he took a step closer to me and held my hand.

I blushed.

"It was me, wasn't it," I asked.

He shook his head and looked into my eyes.

"What happened yesterday," he started. "Was all my fault."

I bit my lip and looked down. I shook my hand out of his. "I... I shouldn't even be talking to you right now. I should leave," I said heading towards the door."

Ross took hold of my wrist and pulled me back. "Why can't we date if it's in secret?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

Ross took my hand again. "No one's watching us right now. No one would know. The superintendent wouldn't know."

I gulped. "What if he found out? I'd lose my job."

Ross looked into my eyes again. "He won't find out. I'll make sure he doesn't."

I looked down. Ross lifted my head up by the chin.

He smiled. "We can do this. I promise."

"But what if it doesn't work out?"

Ross sighed. "It will. Trust me."

I gulped. "You know I don't like that phrase, Ross."

He shrugged. "Sorry."

His eyes trailed from my eyes to my elbow.

"Does it still hurt," he asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, it does."

"Sit down," he said gesturing to the toilet.

I hesitated before sitting.

Ross opened up the cabinet and started rummaging around.

He pulled out the first aid kit and set it down on the sink. He opened it and rummaged around pulling put a band-aid and some aloe.

He leaned down in front of me.

"Let me see it," he said taking my arm into his hand.

I took the washcloth off of my elbow and watched as Ross gently dabbed some of the aloe on my burn.

As he did, I saw the determination in his eyes. But he didn't just look determined. He looked like he was trying to be careful.

Once he got a fair amount of aloe rubbed on, he took out the bandaid.

He slightly bent my elbow and stuck the band-aid on.

As he was trying to straighten out the band-aid on my skin, I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. I couldn't help it. He was being so caring.

He stopped what he was doing and just sat there looking kind of shocked.

He looked over at me.

I smiled. "I trust you."

His face brightened. "Thank you, thank you, thank you," he said, helping me stand. He threw his arms around me and hugged me tight. He nestled his head into my shoulder and kissed it.

I laughed and pulled away from our hug.

"What," Ross asked jokingly. "You're not going to let me kiss your shoulder now?"

I laughed. "Come here,"

I leaned in and he leaned also.

Our lips touched and I sighed into our kiss.

~~End of Flashback~~

"He was just being so caring towards my burn," I said. "I couldn't help but just give him another chance."

Vanessa and Rydel smiled. "You two really love eachother, don't you?'

I shrugged. "You could say that. The thing is, we need to make sure that Mr. Hammer, the superintendent, doesn't find out about us. If he does, we'll be ruined. I'll be ruined and I'd be jobless."

"What about that singing career you always wanted," Ness asked.

I sighed. "I kind of gave up on that when Ross and I first broke up."

Delly patted me on the back. "You should try going for it again. I'm sure we could get you a record deal with our record company."

I looked down. "That's what Ross said. He was trying to get me a record deal but he gave up on it when we broke up, just like I gave up music."

Rydel and Ness gave me a big hug.

"We're sorry, Laur," Delly said.

"Don't be," I said. "My music is in the past and you know what they say. 'Don't dwell on it.'"

Ness smiled. "I love that quote. It's what distracted me from thinking about how it was with our parents."

Delly smiled too. "Well, alright Laur, but if you ever just feel like continuing your singing career, tell me or Ross and we can bring you down to music room sometime."

I nodded. "Okay. But I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with teaching for now."