One Last Dance (Chapter 29)

VANESSA's POV:
"You ready?"
"No."
I rolled my eyes. "Yes, you are, Laura."
She shook her head. "I don't think so."
I sighed. "Laur, you don't have to forgive him yet. You just gotta deal with him for a while. We need somewhere to live. You and me both know that this is the only place we can go."
She gulped.
I looked out the dark window at the Lynches house.
We just left our old place with our stuff.
It was eleven thirty at night.
I had texted Riker earlier telling him we were coming over but for some reason, he never answered me.
I opened the car door and got out.
"Come on, let's go in!"
Taking a deep breath, she opened her door and got out.
We both walked over to the back of the car, and pulled out our stuff.
ROSS' POV:
"What's taking them so long!"
"Be patient, Ross," Riker said. "They're probably just talking things through."
I stared out the window at the street.
I bit my lip. "They've been parked out there for ten minutes! Laura doesn't want to come in! I just know it."
Riker rolled his eyes. "Don't worry about it, Ross. She's probably just a little depressed. Vanessa said she's been acting strange since last time he was here."
Finally, Laura and Vanessa got out of the car and grabbed their stuff.
They walked up to our house and knocked on the door.
"I'll get it," Rydel yelled from the couch.
She stood up and ran to answer the door.
With her hand on the doorknob, she pulled, opening it to reveal the Maranos themselves.
Rydel squealed. "Laura! Ness!"
Vanessa smiled. "Hey Delly! I'm surprised you stayed up this late for us."
Delly motioned to the rest of us. "We all did."
They scanned us and when Laura's eyes met mine, I swear I saw a small smile creep upon her face.
"Anyway," Delly said excitedly, "Come on in! Make yourself at home."
The two sisters stepped inside and I got a better look at Laura.
She had red-stained cheeks and she looked like she hadn't slept for days.
Still beautiful though.
"Thank you so much for letting us stay," said Vanessa.
Laura looked down at the floor and said quietly, "Also, I'm sorry I've been so moody and jerky lately. You guys don't deserve to feel the pain I do."
Sounds like she's been crying for days.
Without realizing it, the words, "It's fine," slipped out of my mouth.
Laura looked at me again.
Her lip started to quiver and her eyes became watery as if she were about to cry again.
My lips parted when I noticed a tear roll down her face and subconsciously, I walked right up to her and enveloped her in a huge bear hug.
It took a few seconds but she finally wrapped her arms around my back, hugging me too.
I closed my eyes and without realizing it, a small tear streaked down my cheek as well.
"I missed you," I whispered.
She didn't whisper back.
I felt a hand on my shoulder.
I backed away from Laur, and looked at Vanessa.
"My sister needs some rest. Ross, could you bring her upstairs and help her get ready for bed?"
I nodded. "Of course."
Laura gave Vanessa a dirty look but when I turned to the stairs, she actually followed me.
We walked up to the second floor of our house and headed to my room.
"So," I asked. "You landlord kicked you guys out?"
She nodded. "Couldn't pay the bills cuz I lost my job."
I gulped. "I'm sorry about that."
She shook her head. "Don't be."
That was all that was said.
She walked out of my room and to Rydel's room.
I heard her say as she turns away, "I can help myself by the way."