One Last Dance (Chapter 19)

LAURA's POV:

"Cause everything's a little bit better, when you and I stick together. Stuck on you, ooh, me and you. Me and you. Ooh ohh."

"Laura, that was amazing!"

I smiled and looked up at the music teacher. "Thanks Jodi! I've been working on it a lot lately."

She laughed. "You know, I've never seen you this happy."

I crinkled my eyebrows."What do you mean?"

"I mean, whenever you'd come in here, it'd only be to ask for an extra pencil or a soda cause you knew I was the only teacher who held sodas in their fridge. And every time you'd come in, you'd look so upset, so out of it. Now, you're like, brand new."

I bit my lip. "Well, I guess I just kept avoiding my music. I kept avoiding the old me because of memories that haunted me. Just recently, I was revisited by a... a few friends from the past and I don't know, I realized that it was actually them, and my music that gave me happiness. Now, with them back in my life, I couldn't be happier."

She smirked. "Are you talking about Ross and his family?"

I looked down and gulped. "Yeah. And my sister. She came here with them too."

Jodi smiled. "Do you... like Ross?"

My eyes widened. "What?! No! We're not even friends!"

"But you just said--"

"No I didn't."

Jodi paused. "Okay. Obviously, you're going through some kind of internal conflict. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable but, um, do you wanna talk about it?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm good. It's just... Nothing. Never mind."

She bit her lip. "Alright."

She looked at the watch on her wrist and sighed. "It's almost time for next block. You should start heading up to your classroom.

I nodded. "Yeah. Thanks for letting me come in to finish my song. And don't worry about my little problem. It's nothing bad. I promise."

"If you're sure," she said. "But remember, I'm always here if you need someone to talk to you."

I smiled. "I'll take that offer into consideration," I said getting up from the piano bench and walking towards the door. "See you later, Jodi."

"Bye Laura! Happy Valentine's Day!"

~LATER THAT DAY~

I parked my car in front of Ross's house. I looked at the time on my phone.

Four o'clock.

Usually, I get here right after school but Mr. Hammer ended up calling a meeting with all the teachers for right after school until three fifteen. Then after the meeting, I had a talk with one of the teachers.

I rubbed my forehead in frustration remembering how it went down.

******I was walking out of my classroom ready to leave this horid place when the intercom turned on and I heard the superintendent say, "Full Staff meeting in the library is starting now. Every teacher is expected to come. We have important matters to discuss."

I rolled my eyes. I guess I couldn't get out of this horid place just yet.

I sulked down to the library. When I got there, it seemed like every teacher was already there, sitting down, ready for whatever the heck wads going to be shared.

My eyes landed on Jodi and the empty seat next to her.

I quickly scrambled through the crowd to get to the seat and sit down.