One Last Dance (Chapter 27)

VANESSA's POV:
When Laura and I got home that day, we both went straight to bed. It was really early in the morning. We were tired.
I crashed in Laura's bed while she crashed on her couch.
The next day, we were awoken to the knock of a door.
I turned around in the bed, trying to ignore the disturbance.
I heard a groan coming from the living room.
A few seconds later, I heard the creek of a door opening.
"Hello Miss Marano," I heard a deep, male voice say. "We need to discuss something important regarding your rent."
I heard Laura yawn. "Can it wait? I just woke up."
The man sounded surprised. "It's been held off for too long now. Just let me tell you why I'm here!"
I didn't hear Laura say anything else before I heard the man sigh and say, "Alright. You will be getting a letter in the mail today explaining what you need to know. Basically, it states what I'm about to say right here, right now: Pay up or get out."
I heard the door shut.
I wanted to get up to see what was going on but I quickly dozed off again before I could feel the need or even the want to ask Laura what that was all about.
I woke up a few hours later completely forgetful of what I had heard earlier that morning.
I glanced at the digital clock by the bed that read 1:30 PM before getting off the bed and heading to the living room.
I looked in the kitchen. Laura was sitting at the table, intensely reading some kind of letter.
"What's that you got there," I asked her curiously.
She jumped and as soon as she saw me, she stuffed the paper she had in her hand into her pant's pocket.
"Nothing," she yelled. "Nothing important!"
I wrinkled my eyebrows. "Alright, geez. Calm down, Laur. I don't even care what the hell that was."
She smiled. "Good, cause I'm not showing you it."
I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Anyway, what time did you get up?"
She shrugged. "Around 10ish. You?"
I laughed. "I just got up obviously."
Laura slapped her hand to her hand and nodded. "Right, sorry I'm just still so freakishly tired, I can't process things right."
I let out a snicker. "It's okay Laur, I'm still pretty tired too. Last night was crazy."
My sister nodded, agreeing with my statement.
We stood there awkwardly for a few minutes just staring at each other.
I watched as she stuffed her hand in her pocket where she put the letter moments before, her hand now in a fist, clutching the crumpled up letter as hard as her tiny hands could.
"So," I started. "Are you going to show me the letter or not?"
She blurted out a fast and exaggerated no.
I crinkled my eyebrows. "You were serious?"
She nodded. "Listen, I'll show you a little later but right now, what's in this letter should be the least of our concerns."
I raised my eyebrows. "If you're sure."
She nodded. "I am."
I stared her down suspiciously for a few seconds before turning around to the room to change into some comfy clothes.
Last night when I got home, I hadn't even bothered to change out of my skinny jeans and tight t-shirt before going to bed cause I was so worn out.
I had a feeling today was going to be a stay-home-and-rest day, so why not change into some pajamas?
I'll get Laura to spill her secret later.