Ons Last Dance (Chapter 26)

LAURA's POV:

My eyes flickered open.

Everything was a blur.

"Laura?" I heard a voice say faintly.

I blinked once.

A bunch of people were standing around me.

My friends.

I sat up a little bit and looked around.

Ross was kneeling down beside the couch.

I felt my hand squeeze. I looked down at it. Ross was holding my hand.

I looked at Vanessa who was also kneeling before the couch.

Why would she bring me here?

To the guy I never wanted to see again!

I looked at Rydel who stood over my sister. She looked at me with sympathy.

I looked at her brothers and her parents before looking back at Ross.

His mouth was moving but it was like no words came out. I stared at his mouth trying to decipher what he was saying just by reading his lips but it was no use.

My vision continued to get more and more blurry.

Ross' calm face turned to panic.

I looked at Vanessa and she looked scared too.

All of a sudden, everyone started running around.

Everyone left the room except Ross.

I looked at him again as he tried to talked to me, as he tried to calm himself down.

My breathing became intense.

Suddenly, my vision became so bad, that it seemed the world was spinning the wrong way.

My eyes lost focus on anything and everything in particular and all I could make sense of was a swirling cloud of jumbled up things.

I felt something cup my cheeks and almost instantly, a nice and cool liquid slid down my throat.

I fought my digestive system to swallow it as more came down.

It all quickly became too much 'cause before I knew it and probably before anyone else knew it, I was choking on the water and someone was patting my back as I coughed.

Once my coughing slowed down, I sat there, with closed eyes trying to catch my breath.

"Laura," I finally heard someone say. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Ross," I choked out.

I felt his nice, strong arms grasp my shoulders and pull me in for a hug.

I gladly accepted it and I held my head against his chest relieved that I was alright.

We sat there for a little bit, Ross and I, until I felt like I was going to get all dizzy again.

That's when I pulled away to see everyone standing around.

I looked at Ross though.

He looked me in the eyes. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I nodded. "Can I have some more water," I asked.

"Of course," he said handing me a bottle.

I twisted the cap off and raised it to my lips letting the fluid flow down my throat freely.

It felt nice.

"Do you think you were just dehydrated," Ross asked.

I shrugged still gulping down the holy liquid.

I didn't rush to lower the bottle from my lips but after a few minutes, I finally did to get some air.

"You feeling better," Ross asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. But, um... What about the glass that was in my-"

"I pulled it out," Ross interrupted. "But I guess it being there really took a lot of energy and fluid out of you. I think that's why your body was acting up."

I nodded again. "Probably."

I stared into his beautiful hazel eyes. He stared into mine.

Ross' gaze traveled to my lips.

He started leaning in.

"Alrighty then," I said standing up, avoiding Ross' attempt to kiss me. "Let's go Vanessa."