Raina: Chapter 3

Raina’s mother scolded her for not being enthusiastic when she met her future husband on the way to their rooms.  Raina just let it flow off of her.  She had probed into Thor’s heart.  She could see the heartache he had suffered recently and his disdain in meeting the woman was to replace his lost love.

And now he knew that she possessed magic, a trait passed down from her mother.  Her mother had taught her most of her spells, but Raina taught herself much more about her magic.  She had learned that her mother’s side of the family possessed magic from the beginning of time and most of the family members had different types of magic.  Allise’s brother worked with fire magic and Raina’s grandfather was a master of white magic.  Raina knew that Thor’s stepmother, Frigga, had been a magic user and the All-Mother. 

“Raina! Pay attention!” Raina smacked into a door despite her mother’s warning.

The servant who had opened the door let out a gasp and scurried to help Raina up and rambling a mixture of apologies. 

Raina smiled and said, “Do not worry.  No harm no foul.”

Allise yelled, “It is absolutely not alright! You should have watched where you were going!  You could have caused major damage to my daughter!  How could you be so foolish you insolent little bug!”  Allise raised her hand and Raina got in her way.  “Move, Raina!  This servant should be taught a lesson!”

“Mother! This is not your palace and you should never treat another king’s servants like this!”  Raina was furious with her mother.  Raina saw two guards walking towards them and they asked if everything was alright.

“No it is not!  This servant should be imprisoned for trying to cause harm to the princess!”  Allise pointed her finger at the servant.

Raina looked at the servant finally.  She had not noticed her fully until now.  She was a young girl no older than 100 with strawberry blonde hair braided in two braids each on the sides of her face.  Raina towered over the poor girl, who was shaking incredibly.  Raina tried to plea with the guards to not take her, but Allise gave Raina the “look”.  Raina was making her mother look like a fool and she had to admit her defeat and watch as they dragged the unfortunate girl away.  Raina turned away as a tear fell down her cheek.  She had not realized that Thor and another man were watching her.  She looked up in surprise and used her magic to make herself disappear, back to her room where Mae waited for her.

She recalled the scene to Mae and Mae comforted her to the best of her abilities.  Raina was humiliated by her mother in front of Thor and his friend.  Raina looked weak in front of them, but her mother looked strong and heroic in sending an innocent girl to her incarceration.

“I need to help that girl, Mae.  I can’t let anything happen to her all because my mother has to make her reputation as a harsh ruler known to everyone,” Raina stood and continued speaking to Mae, “I wonder if I went to Thor…maybe he can do something about it.”

Mae had a look on her face.

“What is it, Mae” Raina was not up for her nonsense at the moment.

“So your meeting with Thor was successful?” Mae had her amused face plastered.

Raina wrinkled her brows, “I still do not wish to marry this prince. I will do whatever it takes to prevent a marriage from happening.  Right now, I need to see if he is truly the man that I think he is.”

Raina asked Mae to come with her as she made her way around the palace.  She stopped to ask a guard if he had seen Thor recently.  The guard commented that he had last seen Thor walking with his brother to the gardens.