Showdown

~Izuminokami Kanesada~
和泉守 兼定

Requested by rebornhunter!

---------------------------------------------------------

As Izuminokami Kanesada pointed his blade at the wakizashi's throat, he was declared winner by the judge, Mikazuki. His self-acclaimed assistant was in complete defeat again. Falling to the ground, Horikawa took in huge breaths of air before the latter came and sneered at him, earning a glare from the assistant.

"Tell me, do you like her or not!"

Everyone was surprised at his sudden outburst of rage. Wasn't this supposed to be just a normal duel? No one dared to interfere as he waited for Horikawa's reply.

"Why should I tell you!" Kicking upwards, it hit his shin before he ran off to hide from the demon. Veins almost popped out of his head immediately as everyone felt his anger emanating around the dojo.

"Um, you should get that treated quickly-" The sage spoke with a hint of caution, careful not to land on a mine. She knew how scary he was when he is angered, and this time it involved her as well. 

"That brat...! Screw his one-sided love!" Before he could vent his anger on the others, he was dragged to the repair room by the oodachis who didn't speak a word with him even when they left.

"This is going to hurt a bit, Izumi." Pressing the alcohol-soaked cloth onto the raw wound, he hissed and grabbed the edge of the chair tightly before releasing his grip slowly. Even though he was used to pain, he had never expected that it was that painful. His mind was cursing that sword during the entire treatment process.

"Don't ever get into a fight with him again, Izumi."

"But he-" A wave of pain came suddenly from his shin, sending him hissing and gripping on the chair even tighter. Noticing a stare from her, he sighed and promised her. "...I won't fight with him again."

~~

Seeing him at the fields, Horikawa walked over with some drinks and snacks, hoping to reconcile. 

"What, you're gonna talk me through like yesterday? Hell no." Izuminokami said while turning his back.

"I have snacks and tea to compliment this conversation. Besides, Aruji has already given me permission to talk to you while you are on duty."

Stunned by his demeanour, he sighed and sat beside the latter, wiping off sweat droplets off his forehead as he took a bite of the salmon-flavoured onigiri.

"So, how long have you been with her?"

"Three weeks." 

Humming in response, a grin was seen on his face.

"What, it's not even a month... I still have a chance-" 

Accidentally knocking over the tea due to his words, it scalded Horikawa's dorsal side of his hand, causing him to hiss and jolt up suddenly. Surprised at his own act, he apologised hurriedly. "S-Sorry! Are you alright!" Wanting to take him to the repair room where one of the cabinets stored a cream especially for burns, the lad rejected him and walked off, not forgetting to leave a word.

"She's going to disappear from your side because she will be mine~!"

"She won't!"

~~

Looking around, Horikawa then entered her office discreetly.  

"So?? How did it go!" The sage asked with excitement while careful to keep her voice down. 

"He gave me this, but it was accidental..." He showed his now bandaged hand before giving a small laugh, earning a surprise from her. It wasn't anything serious, but he would have to take some time for it to completely heal. Apologising on behalf of her boyfriend, she stripped him off from sorties and expeditions for two weeks' straight.

Unbeknown to Izuminokami, this was all a plan by her and Horikawa for the upcoming Valentines' Day. It wasn't a surprise that he didn't know about this special day because it never existed during his times. The misunderstanding did clear up at the end of the day, but he became even more caring than ever. 

"Kane-san! Aruji is going to ride a horse with me~!"

"Stop that, you brat! Get down!"