The Enemy

Park Haneul is an immigrant from Seoul who lived in New York for a portion of her life. She has a younger brother Park Hongjun, who she calls Teddy. She looked after him while they were growing up, they lost their parents at a young age; they were killed mercilessly and Teddy and Haneul witnessed it with their own eyes, to cope with this traumatic experience in his life, Teddy detached himself from Park Hongjun to have a sense of freedom from his painful memories, feelings, and emotions. He developed a mental condition.

For a while Haneul struggled on taking care of Teddy, she had to work for the two of them so she had to enroll him in a mental institution where he stayed in and lived there, he met friends inside, he became better, and he eventually worked for the said institution for a while, volunteering. After getting clearance he was able to live outside and be with his sister again. They were always there for each other, helping each other all the time. Haneul is the most important person in Teddy's life.

Haneul met the new business tycoon Lee Chungho, and they got together. Chungho studied in New York and started a business there. Soon, Teddy was left alone in their place since Haneul had to work with Chungho. He was slipping from himself from time to time, worsening his disease. He kept this from his sister.

Chungho wanted to venture in a trading business in Seoul saying that there are too many competitors in New York so he tried convincing Haneul to move back to Seoul. Haneul didn't want to because she wants to be with Teddy. She thought about bringing Teddy with them, but she's afraid that if she brings Teddy with her, Teddy would be left alone most of the time because both her, and Chungho would be working. She thought it would be better for Teddy to stay in New York where he knows a few people than to stay in with them where he doesn't know anybody, she's afraid that his mental condition will worsen with that kind of setup.

Teddy talked her out of her resolve, convincing her that he can take care of himself and that she should pursuit her happiness. But Haneul didn't agree. Teddy didn't like Chungho at first, he seemed to be too full of himself, and he is rather selfish, but he saw that his sister loves Chungho so much so he agreed. Even though Teddy only has Haneul in his life, and her marrying Chungho means he'll be alone, he accepted. Soon, Haneul and Chungho moved to Seoul, with Teddy and they left New York.

Haneul and Chungho lived a happy life, Chungho's business is doing well. They bought a beautiful villa, and they lived in luxury. Teddy was a calm, caring, and thoughtful person. But when they moved, he spent his days alone most of the time, he got worse, he can go from calm to extremely angry with very little provocation.

A few months after moving, they decided that it was about the time to have a child, but they discovered something that shattered their hearts: Haneul is infertile, she cannot get pregnant. This broke Haneul's dream of having a family with Chungho, her dream of living a happy life together with her family. Due to depression, Chungho turned to gambling and became alcoholic. With these vices, Chungho's business went bankrupt after sometime, and he resorted in illegal transactions later on. Haneul cared for his husband so much, so she tried to stop him. But he still went on.

Haneul challenged Chungho that if he won't change, she would leave him, so he tried. Quickly enough he was able to recover and was able to earn back the money he lost, but he was impatient. He wanted progress, and he wanted it fast. He was able to invest on a new business, this venture was illegal, he resorted on illegal activities saying that money is faster in those kind of business, he kept this little secret from his wife. In due course, he got caught by The Court.

After the first encounter, The First Court went to their house to inform Haneul about her husband's illegal transactions and wrongdoings, and told her that she should try her best to control her husband and understand him in this situation. Haneul tried, but Chungho never stopped.