Cupcake

A/N: Dedicated to @LMJIsBae for the voting spam I received yesterday! Thank you <3

I've recently moved into a new apartment building. I see my neighbours when I collect my post but I've never really had a proper conversation with them. But my neighbour across the hall from me? Never met them. I hear them arguing with their partner most days but that's it.

Like right now, they're arguing. I'm stood in my kitchen making cupcakes like I do every Saturday, this week it's red velvet. They seem to be fighting more this week, this is the 4th time. I got lost in dancing to the song on the radio when there was a loud crash before someone slammed the door. I ran to my front door and looked out of the peephole to see a man stomping away down the hallway.

I set a timer for the cupcakes on my phone and quickly pocketed my keys, not wanting to lock myself out, again,  and headed down the hallway towards my neighbours door. I knocked and waited for them to answer. I heard the soft patter of hesitant footsteps; soon the door opened a crack.

A dark haired woman peeked out of the crack in the door. Her eyes were puffy, her hair was a mess and she looked lost.

"Hi I'm Y/N, I live across the hall. I heard a crash, are you okay?" She hesitated and opened the door wider to let me in. I got a full look at her this time. Her clothes were torn off her body, she had bruises on visible parts of her arms I could see. She had a black eye on her right eye and her cheeks were red. Her left cheek had a bleeding cut, causing my blood to boil. I clenched my fists by my sides and gritted my teeth.

"Lauren" She whispered as she closed the door behind me. I turned to face her and opened my arms. She fell into them sobbing into my chest.

"Shh its okay, I've got you." We stood hugging in silence for what felt like hours when my phone buzzed in my pocket causing her to jump. Shit the cupcakes.

"I have cupcakes in the oven. Pack a few things, anything valuable to you and knock on my door when you're done" I waited for her nod before running out of her apartment and into mine. I turned off the oven and let the cupcakes cool on the countertop.

I quickly ran into my bedroom to tidy up a few things that were laying around when there was a knock at the door. I opened it and ushered in a frightened Lauren. She smiled sadly at me as I brought in her suitcases. Was she prepared for this?

I took them through to bedroom and joined her on the couch. I was happy that she changed into something comfy and cleaned the cut on her cheek, a large college jumper and sweatpants. She watched me closely as I sat down on the opposite side of the couch.

"Thank you" She whispered as she brought her feet up, tucking them under herself. I slid off the couch and knelt down in front of her.

"It's not a problem, you can talk to me and stay here as long as you like." I rubbed her leg and frowned as she flinched away from me.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have done that" I took my hands away from her feeling ashamed. I stood up and went to leave but she had a vice grip on my wrist.

"I'm sorry, I got scared. N-No-ones wanted to touch me with-without wanting to hur- hurt me" She admitted staring at the floor. I sat down beside her and pulled her onto my lap, cradling her in my arms.

"That won't happen anymore, I'll protect you" I gently rocked her back and forth whispering sweet things into her ear when she fell asleep. I smiled and laid her down on the couch before covering her with a thin blanket. I kissed the top of her head and went back to the kitchen to start on the cream cheese frosting.

******

Lauren had been sleep for an hour when I started singing along to the radio. I danced as I piped the frosting onto the cupcakes.

Baby, when they look up at the sky
We'll be shootin' stars just passin' by
You'll be comin' home with me tonight
We'll be burnin' up like neon lights

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out, it's freakin' out, right now
Shining like stars 'cause we're beautiful, we're beautiful, right now
You're all I see in all these places
You're all I see in all these faces
So let's pretend we're running out of time, of time

Baby, when they look up at the sky
We'll be shootin' stars just passin' by
You'll be comin' home with me tonight
And we'll be burnin' up like neon lights

Baby, when they look up at the sky
We'll be shootin' stars just passin' by
You'll be comin' home with me tonight
And we'll be burnin' up like neon lights

Neon lights
Neon lights
Neon lights
Like neon lights, oh

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out, it's freakin' out, right now
Shining like stars 'cause we're beautiful, we're beautiful, right now
You're all I see in all these places
You're all I see in all these faces
So let's pretend we're running out of time, of time

Baby, when they look up at the sky
We'll be shootin' stars just passin' by
You'll be comin' home with me tonight
And we'll be burnin' up like neon lights

Baby, when they look up at the sky
We'll be shootin' stars just passin' by
You'll be comin' home with me tonight
And we'll be burnin' up like neon lights

Neon lights
Neon lights
Neon lights
Like neon lights, oh

Shining like stars 'cause we're beautiful, beautiful
You're all I see in all these places
You're all I see in all these faces
So let's pretend we're running out of time, of time

Like neon lights, oh

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out

I screamed and held a hand over my heart when I saw Lauren stood in the archway to the kitchen with a smirk on her face.

"You scared me, how are you feeling?" I asked slowly walking towards her. She cuddled into my open arms and sighed.

"Better thank you. You're a good singer" I scoffed and led her through to the kitchen, picking her up and placing her on the counter by the fridge.

"Why you always lyin'?" I sung with a smirk as I handed her a cupcake. She smirked as she took a bite, getting frosting on the tip of her nose and her upper lip. I laughed and handed her a tissue, she wiped off the excess frosting.

"So what do you think?" I ask watching her with amusement. She gave me a thumbs up and stuffed the rest of the cupcake in her mouth. I placed my hand over my mouth to stop myself laughing. I knew if I did she would and I didn't want her to choke. She chuckled and covered her hand over her mouth as I turned to the fridge to get us some water. I handed her a bottle once she had swallowed.

"Thank you" Nodding I set the rest of the cupcakes in the fridge and moving to stand in front of her. I offered her my hand; she took it letting me help her down from the countertop. She didn't let go as we walked into the living area and onto the sofa. I lay on the sofa with my back against the back cushion she laid in front of me, her face buried in my neck. I wrapped my arms around her so she didn't fall off and to keep her close to me.

A/N: And I forgot to say, I have a new book out called YouTube. It will be updated every Wednesday. I hope you go read it and enjoy it