School is Stupid

The clock turns slowly. It seems it's getting slower every second I look at it, it's teasing me. Five minutes till lunch, my favourite part of the day, I get to eat. If there is one thing in this world that I will say I love, it is food. Two minutes, nearly there. It's not that I don't like school, it's just that sometimes it doesn't like me. I'm smart I guess, top marks, but it's the fact that I have to communicate with love-hungry teenagers, who just frustrate me with all their lovey-dovey bull crap.

Thirty seconds. Lunch, lunch, lunch.

Bling!

I literally sprint out of my chair and head to the cafeteria. I slow to a walking pace because I want to look at least a little bit normal, and once I make it to the cafeteria I find my best friend Lilly at our normal table smiling at me, she loves eating as much as I do. Lilly is my only true friend, although she does believe in the fairy tales of love, she still understands me for hating it. She still tries to hook me up with boys but we all know that that's never going to happen. The reason why we get along so great is because of our differences, we agree to disagree, and through think and thin we are always there for each other (especially if one of us forgets our lunch) .

"Hey" I say.

And all I get in reply is a grunt because she's already stuffed her face in the humongous sandwich she must've made for herself this morning. I reach into my bag an pull out my not-so-big chicken and mayo sandwich and dig in. For people who love to eat so much, Lilly and I are fairly skinny, not skin and bone, but we like to keep ourselves fit enough to get to the front of the line for the days the cafeteria have edible food.

We eat in silence, savouring the best part of our school days, and as I take another bite of my sandwich I realise how different Lilly and I are. Lilly has shiny, black hair mid-length, with grey eyes and tan skin. Where as I have long blonde hair that reaches my waist, with very light blue eyes and light skin. Yet we are both tall and toned with muscles from years of playing soccer. We both despise make-up and only wear it in the odd occasion if the need is great and you will never see us wearing high heels and mini-skirts anytime soon. You could say we are Tom-boys.

Lilly finishes her sandwich and looks across the cafeteria, I know exactly where she is looking before I even turn my head. Yes, I was right. She's looking at Samuel Clark, she's been crushing on him for the past week.

"You're pathetic" I mutter and she whips me an unpleasant look.

"Just because I have a heart that has feelings" She argues, but she stops the conversation, with a wave of her hand before I can make my 'I Hate Love' speech. "Save It" She mumbles.

She glances back to Samuel and then back to her bag and reaches in to pull out a bag of chips.

"Lilly!" I scream whisper.

"What?!" She whispers back.

"Samuels looking at you." I lie.

"Really!?"

"No" I giggle. She slaps me with the back of her hand and returns to her chips.

After lunch school is pretty forgettable. Then the bell rings calling to tell me that school has finished. Finally. I walk home alone like usual and when I get to my neighbourhood I see a moving truck at the house next door, a spark of interest sparks through me, then I realise I don't actually care who's moving in beside us.

"Mum, I'm home!" I shout, waiting for a reply and when I don't get one I drop my school bag on the table and walk out to the backyard.

"Mum!" I shout again.

"Over here honey!" She calls back to me.

I find her talking over the fence to the new neighbour.

"Isabel, this is Mary-Anne. She has just moved in next door." Mum introduces me.

I shake her hand and politely say 'nice to meet you' and then turn to leave.

"Oh wait" Mary-Anne calls. "I'll introduce you to my son, he's around your age. Maybe you could help him at school tomorrow?" She pauses and smiles, then shouts "Lucas, come here dear!"

I stand patiently waiting for this Lucas person. Then as I here footsteps coming closer I lift my head to see a tall figure coming towards us. My eyes adjust and I see a very good looking boy approach us. He's not just good looking, he's flippin' gorgeous!