The week before

The school week was un-eventful. Everyday filled with boring teachers, delicious lunches and dreamy Lucas.

It's now the day before the dance, Friday. I am sitting on the couch listening to my mother talk excitedly about the dance the next day. She's way more enthusiastic about this dance then i'll ever be. I mean can't wait to spend the night with Lucas, but the whole fact of wearing makeup and a long dress, it's a fact that my night will be filled with falling over and embarrassing myself. Yay can't wait.

"Isabel, Why aren't you excited?" My mother tilts her head to the side, with confusion plastered on her smiling face.

"I'm just nervous." I say and look at my feet.

"Don't be darling, you'll be fine and anyway, you'll have Lucas there every step of the way." she reassures me.

It doesn't work.

I let the conversation drop.

Mum comes and sits beside me and wraps her arm around my shoulders. I nuzzle my head into her shoulders and let her silk brown hair caress my cheeks. We sit there for a while.

"Honey, are you hungry?" She asks.

"Of course I am, I'm always hungry." I laugh. Just the thought of food makes me smile wider.

Mum hops of the couch and offers me her hand.

"Lets go make something delicious then." She says, as I take her hand and she drags me towards the kitchen.

We end up making my favourite, Pizza. Together we prepare it, then we eat it. I help her with the dishes, then yawn.

"I'm going to bed." I say , through the yawn.

She wraps her thin arms around my body and pulls me against her. She plants a loving kiss on the top of my head.

"Goodnight Love." She says. "Go get your beauty sleep, big day tomorrow."

I moan and trudge up the stairs. I have a long, hot shower and slip on my pyjamas. I crawl into bed and flop my head onto the pillow.

My thoughts are everywhere. It takes me forever to get to sleep.