Lunch

My feet pull me towards the doors of the cafeteria. Lilly and I are speed-walking to a table, eager to eat our lunch. My eyes glance around the room looking for Lucas and I find sitting at a table with all the school players. Uh! I knew it. He is one of the jerks, I think sadly. Lilly follows my gaze and smiles.

"So you do like him?"She questions annoyingly.

"Who?" I play dumb.

"Lucas, you idiot" She replies rudely.

"No." I say sharply.

"Yes"

"No"

"Yes"

"Maybe" I say quietly, hoping she wasn't listening.

"Ha! I knew it! Miss 'I hate love' does have feelings after all." She shouts into my ear.

"Shut up" I mutter, annoyed. "It's not like I'm going to doing anything about it anyway."

"Why not?" Asks Lilly.

"Because having feelings for other people and allowing them to break down your walls only ends up with you getting hurt." I say sadly.

Lilly stares at me with knowing eyes. She knows it all, the whole 'boyfriend' thing two years ago, she was the only one who was left to help me.

"Isabel, that was a long time ago, and besides not all boys are jerks like Jordan."

I flinch at his name being said.

"I reckon you should try. Lucas seems nice and he is your neighbour, so you better get used to seeing him." She continues.

I put my head in my hands. Maybe it was time for me to move on and forget about Jordan. But I still promised myself that I would never let myself fall in love with another guy and I was adamant that I was going to keep that promise, because it saves me from getting hurt.

"Maybe" I lie to Lilly. I don't want to get hurt again.