Light a Candle

"Sire, you really should get some rest, you've been working a lot lately," Kaolin said as he handed the king some papers.

"Yes, Kaolin, that is my job...I work a lot," Ed said, looking up at Kaolin through his eyelashes.

"I'm just saying, Sire...you look tired," Kaolin said, walking around the table.

"Doesn't matter, these meeting have to be done, now leave before the knights get here," the king ordered, waving him off.

"Alright, Sire," Kaolin said, walking towards the door. "Is there anything else that you need?"

"No. Thank you," Ed said, waving him off again.

Kaolin left the room, passing Kara on his way out. She didn't say anything, just let him walk passed. She entered the throne room, walking over to the king.
*
"Ed," I whispered, he looked up.

"What is it, love?" He asked, sighing.

"I saw Matthew," I said, walking up to his throne.

"What?" He asked, standing up, "did he hurt you?"

"No, but he told me who else was after you," I said quickly.

"What?" He asked.

"He told me who was helping him," I said.

"Who?" He asked. I opened my mouth, but before I could say anything the doors opened, and the knights walked in.

"Why does this keep happening?" I whispered under my breath.

"Sire," one of the knights said, getting Ed's attention.

"Can we talk about this later, please?" He whispered, walking over to the round table.

"Of course, Sire," I said flatly, before turning to leave the room.

I closed the doors, leaning up against them; Kaolin walked into the kitchen. I took a deep breath, chasing after him.

"Kaolin," I called, entering the kitchen.

"Oh, Kara...what is it?" He asked, turning to face me.

"Matthew told me," I started, my mouth going dry again. "Matthew told me what you're doing."

"What I'm...doing?" He asked, confused.

"You're trying to kill Ed," I said, my voice shaking.

"What?" He asked. "Matthew told you that?"

"Yes."

"Well, he lied. So you really think I would try and kill my best friend...the king?" He asked.

"I don't know anymore," I said, looking down at my feet.

"He's my best friend!" Kaolin defended.

"You killed Leon too, didn't you?" I asked, a burst of confidence suddenly rushing though my veins.

"I didn't kill anyone!" He yelled.

"Did you help Oliver kidnap me?" I asked.

"No."

"Who else is helping you?" I asked.

"No one, because I'm not doing anything," he said, his voice getting low.

"I don't believe you," I said, taking a step closer to him, getting in his face.

"I'm not trying to kill him!" He said, avoiding eye contact.

"You're lying," I mumbled.

"What?" He asked.

"You're lying, I can tell," I said.