Chapter 2

~Family Tree~

Lauren’s POV

We reached the beach and I kicked off my shoes, I wanted to feel the warm sand between my bare toes. The girl on the other hand didn’t move from the pavement so I walked back to her, «It’s really great.» I assured and took her hand in mine, feeling her soft skin against my rough hand. 

«I don't know...It’s getting late and it’s really dark, you never know who might walk around.» She said while looking nervously over her shoulder and to her sides, reminding me of myself and my neurotic behavior when it came to watching my back.

«I’ll protect you.» I smirked. «Come on..» For some reason I really wanted to spend some time with this girl.

She finally gave in and followed me until we reached the edge of the sand where the waves were washing slowly in reaching our feet. It was quite warm considering it was summer, but the degrees in the sea had dropped after the sunset.

In addition the wind was blowing our hair in every way possible. In the corner of my eyes I could see her shudder and as an instinct I pulled her close. We found ourselves a spot behind a huge rock to protect ourselves from the cold breeze. 

«So where are you from?» I heard myself ask. «Of course, if you don’t mind sharing that sort of information with a total stranger.» I don’t know why I added that. It made me sound nervous and I was Lauren Jauregui. The word nervous didn’t exist in my vocabulary, along with the overestimated word fear. 

«I’m from Miami, not exactly the most exciting place.» She shrugged.

«Me too! Small world huh?» I enlightened, feeling the urge to lighten the tension. «By the way, you’ve a great voice.» I blurted out feeling stupid within an instant.

«Thank you, so do you.» She smiled comfortably giving me the confidence I needed to continue the conversation.

I asked her if she’d ever taken any singing lessons and she nodded her head slowly before returning the question. I awkwardly rubbed the back of my neck when admitting that I’d really never sung in front of anybody before this. She smiled and we ended up talking for hours about everything and nothing. Sitting with her was the most comfortable I’d ever felt in my entire life despite the fact that we were complete strangers.

«Do you live with your parents?» She suddenly asked. Her question took me by surprise, but I answered willingly.

«Only my dad, my mum left us years ago. What about you?» What the hell Lauren, when did you become Ms. Chatty? 

She looked in front of her for a second, insecurity across her face. I felt the need to say something to help her with the words.

«You can trust me. I’m familiar to family iss-» I clenched my teeth together to stop the rest of the sentence from rolling off my tongue. Speaking about my family’s private intrigues wasn’t something I shared.

«No, there’s nothing like that. I just don’t spend as much time as them as I would like.» She said giving away a smile.

Her smile was amazing and it caused me to return it freely. The truth was that my father and I had a complicated relationship. I didn’t agree with all his choices in life and I was quite mad at him for pushing my mother away, but no point in staying in the past. Nothing mattered now anyway.

«So do you always do this? Take girls with you to the beach after dancing with them?» She asked while raising her eyebrow.

«No, you’re actually the first.» I admitted. «I don’t normally do these sorts of things.» I added tracing circles in the sand with my finger.