Chapter 5

~Caught in the middle of this dysfunction~

Camila’s POV

The alarm clock went on, waking me from my dreamless sleep. I stuffed my feet into a pair of warm slippers and walked into the kitchen after my daily morning routine. I rubbed my eyes and pushed a spoon of cereals into my mouth.

A magazine was tossed onto the table causing a loud noise which made me drop my spoon, spilling milk on the table. «Camila, what is this?» My dad asked upset, pointing to the cover. I pulled myself out of my currently state of shock and reached for the magazine.

CAMILA CABELLO, the sweet and innocent pop princess turned into a hot bikerchick.’ I read on the front-page seeing a picture of myself. I turned the page and skimmed through it furiously. ‘The world-famous pop star was seen on the back of a motorcycle with a mysterious and unknown girl behind the steering. In addition to the rebellious gesture, rumors about her sexual orientation and drug abuse are constantly flaring up everywhere.’ I mumbled the last words sat a back by the whole article.

I turned to my dad who stood there with his arms crossed and his eyes fixating on me. «Dad, I swear this is not true.» I insisted. Even though, one third of it was, but the drugs assumption was nothing but bullshit. «What about this?» He asked stamping his finger on the one photo of me on the back of Lauren’s motorcycle. «She just gave me a ride home.» I avoided his look, not wanting him to see the secrets I was hiding. «From now on, no more media. It’s bad for your upcoming tour.» He said, ending the conversation with leaving the kitchen. 

I sighed and fetched a cloth to clean up the spilled milk. The mess on the table was the least of my worries, my dad was right. I had to contain the perfect girl reputation. People didn’t want to idolize a girl with struggles or insecurities, it shouldn't be like that, but what everyone truly wanted was a perfect girl they could tear down before building her up on their terms.  

I sat in the back of the car fiddling with my phone. A lot of people had taken their time to comment upon the article, some comments were supporting, but a few were saying that I’d changed and probably end up like another drug-head. Reading those words from the ones who were supposedly my fans hurt. I decided to write a quick respond, ‘a round of applause to the imaginative writers behind magazines’  My phone exploded with notification as I turned it off, deciding not to be bothered with that case anymore. 

We drove for a while in complete silent. Only the heavy breathing from my chauffeur James was hearable. «Please stop here.» I said as we neared the school. «Ms. Cabello. My orders are to take you to school.» He replied politely. «We know each other too well to use last names and please James.» I begged. He looked at me in the mirror, debating which orders to obey and I felt sorry for putting him in this position.

We had a deviated bond, James and I. He was like a grandfather to me. He always listened to my problems and never judged. I couldn’t count all the times I’d poured my heart out to this man and he’d always come with the best advice. Finding people like him, who didn’t only care about the business, but actually the person under it all was an uncommon occurrence. «You’ll be mobbed by the paparazzi.» He spoke up concerned.

I nodded my head and let him complete his daily mission. «Thank you James.» I stuck one foot out off the door opening. He gave me a heartfelt smile in return, «You’re welcome Kiddo.» Within a second flashes and shouts assaulted me and I had to shield my eyes with my hand. I felt arms surrounding me as they helped me get through the crowd of eager photographers. «Camila, were you ever in rehab?», «Who’s the girl?», «Are you going on tour?». 

The million of questions only aggravated to my lostness. I got inside of the school and looked up at James who stood there with a tight facial expressions. «Never in my life have I ever witnessed people being this obnoxious to such a young girl.» He mumbled before turning around to leave. His job was definitely not to be my bodyguard, but I was grateful that he’d been one today.