Chapter 9

~Are you gonna be like your father was and his father was?~

Camila’s POV

«Mum, dad?» I opened the door nervously and squeezed my hand tightly around the handle. «Yes honey?» Was all I earned from my mum who still had her nose stuck in her computer, most likely reading the newest gossip from the tabloids. My dad didn’t even respond, but also had a pc placed on his lap.

I sighed and walked over to my mum and from behind I placed my arms around her and rested my head on her shoulder. «Mum, can we talk?» I asked, already anticipating her reply. «Not right now sweetheart, maybe later?» She said remaining in the world of slander. I shook my head and walked out discontented. This was how most days went by, so I knew it was useless to try to get another sanction from my father. 

My parents were busy trying to preserve my celebrity life, but consigned to oblivion that they had two children who were reliant of them. I pulled out my cell phone from my back pocket and called her number in need of somebody to distract me from my frustrating family situation. ‘Hey it’s Lauren.’ Only hearing her voice calmed both my body and mind. «I miss you.» I let out. ‘Aw, baby. Wanna come over?’ She asked and I silently cursed the long distance. 

«You know I want to, but it’s too far and we got school tomorrow.» I informed the implied details. ‘Right, so I guess a sleepover would be pointless?’ Her offer was so tempting that I had to bite my lip to prevent a groan. Her laughter was hearable and I knew she was aware of my frustration. ‘It’s getting late Camz, get yourself some sleep and we’ll talk tomorrow.’ «Night, Lolo.» ‘Goodnight.’

I waited until her voice died out before throwing my phone away. I grumbled and threw myself on the bed. It had been two weeks since her father’s funeral. Lauren had been devastated the first weeks, but now she’d seemed to calm. I wasn’t sure if it was something positive or if I should be worrying. We’d put our relationship on break and I’d taken a step back to give her the necessary space to mourn her loss.

I’d never left her side though, only stayed in the shadows. Careful not to put anymore pressure on her. It slightly bothered me that she did not trust me with the incidents that went on within the Jauregui, but I figured she would speak to me if there was something wrong. She was conscious of my support if she ever needed it. 

«Camila, I can’t sleep.» Sofi stood in my doorway rubbing her eyes with her stuffed bunny dangling over her arm. «Then come here.» I patted the side of my bed for her and she climbed up. I put my arm around her, «What is wrong kiddo?» I asked, realizing I’d used James nickname. «Nightmares.» She said into my chest in a low tone. I pulled her tighter and letting my arms surround her protectively. «I’m scared.»

«Shh Sofi, try to sleep.» I kissed her forehead and closed my eyes, feeling the small girl relaxed before I let the sleep take over for my frustration and despair.

«Camila! You’re late, what on earth are you dawdling for?» My mum pulled the covers and I grudgingly rolled out of bed. «James will provide breakfast and take you to school, have a nice day.» My mum yelled, already being halfway out of the house. I went over to my sink splashed water in my face to wake my sleepy mind. 

I picked out my outfit, a black shirt with a denim shirt around and a pair of skinny jeans. I let my hair fall straight, but attached a black bow. I ran down the stairs, shit. For the first and only time in world history Camila Cabello would have to miss a meal. «James?» I asked timid. «I’m here.» James said and came from the kitchen wearing his standard chauffeur dress. «Thank God, I’d thought you’d left.»

«Never ms. Cabello.» He replied politely and I rolled my eyes at him still refusing to use my first name. We walked out and he opened the door and I got him, giving him a grateful smile. There was no paparazzi, it hadn’t been lately either. With no albums, records or tours there was no bustle or hustle and it felt wonderful.