|70| The Office

Jaden

"Thanks for your help, Jaden. I really needed it today." Janet said as I organized some old documents that were left a mess from Simon's office.

I nodded, "No problem..." my voice came out quieter than I expected.

She was silent for a moment. I didn't look up from the papers so I couldn't tell what her expression was when she asked, "Is something bothering you, hun?"

I shrugged, "A few things are... But don't worry about it, I'll figure it out."

Now that I was here, I didn't really want to mention anything to her anymore. One thing after another keeps coming up and now I just want to relax and not think about any of it right now.

"At least tell me what those few things are." she giggled softly.

I chuckled, "I said I'll figure it out. I don't want to think about anything serious right now."

"I understand..." she mumbled before shuffling around papers.

It was awkwardly quiet now. All I could hear were the movements of papers, loud stapling, and the copy machine beeping and printing papers. The smell of fresh coffee made me a little thirsty since I didn't drink anything after my throat went dry talking to Rebecca. I wasn't going to ask for a cup because I didn't know her too well, she would probably think I'm needy or something.

I stood up to place my finished stack of papers in the bin and brought a new stack from a different month back to my table. Janet began to hum a familiar tune, probably to make it less quiet in here.

I smiled a little, realizing it was a Bob Marley song. Buffalo Soldier...

This song played on Simon's CD radio while I was helping Nicki in the kitchen one morning.

I let out a soft groan and massaged my forehead. My mind suddenly veering to the possibility that Jackson might be her baby's father.

I shook my head.

I know it's mine! It has to be but a small voice in the back of my head keeps saying otherwise. I don't know exactly what Jackson did with her and that part worries me...

I wouldn't know what to do about Jackson if he was the real father. That man is already being accused of rape even when proven innocent. No one wants to work with him and I don't even know what Simon wants to do about it. I don't think he could take anymore hell from anyone but what should I do? The more I think about it, the more I actually want him to suffer.

Almost as much as I'm suffering to keep Rebecca away...

Oh, man Rebecca! I have a bad feeling that she isn't going to let go of me. She's obsessed and that's my fault. Maybe if I told her that I was with Nicki and she's having my child, Rebecca would lay off.

But what if I'm not the father?!?!

I banged my fist on the desk and rested my head on the stack of papers. I need to see Nicki right now!

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my back and a small cup of water slid in front of me.

"Jaden, talk to me..." Janet's soothing voice said as she gently rubbed my back.

I was so deep in thought, I forgot I was still sitting in here. I picked my head up and let out a deep breath, bouncing my leg, "I don't know what to do... About anything." I ended up telling her.

She slid the papers aside and sat on the desk, handing me the cup of water. I sighed and gulped the whole cup down, crushing the paper cup when I was finished.

"Let's start with one thing at a time. What's your first concern?"

Nicki and her baby...

Jackson?

Rebecca...? No! I'll start with the easy one.

"Jackson..." I mumbled.

She gasped softly, "Did Nicole tell you?"

What?

"Tell me what?" I winced.

She cocked her head to the side, "That she's- you know what? Nevermind... I'll let you talk."

I chuckled, "Um... I kinda fucked his life up. Everyone here thinks he's a rapist and I know he's not. He's a genuine guy, you know? He doesn't deserve to be treated like something he isn't."

"Ah..." she adjusted her glasses, "I've noticed that too. I overheard a few agents discussing ways to peacefully have him fired. Things like, sending notes to Simon and signing a petition. They say don't appreciate having a coach who's willing to take advantage of their mission leader."

I jerked my head up to her, "Wait. They know it was with Nicole?"

She nodded.

"Coach told me nobody knew!"

She rubbed my clenched fist, "If you think about it, no one is going to mention everything they know about it when they're around him. He doesn't know about the things being said."

"Damn, now she's never going to want to come back to work... What the hell do I do?"

I doubt that she'll quit the agency but I know for a fact that she'll stab anyone who says a word about the situation.

"Well... I do have a plan that might work. But it requires bravery." Janet pursed her lips.

I looked at her, wanting her to continue.

She caught on and started to explain, "If it's okay with Nicole, she could attend one of Jackson's classes. Any one where other agents are involved and when they see them working together, they'll consider changing their minds about him."

It's not a bad idea but I also don't like it. "I don't think I want Coach anywhere near her again..." I bit my lip, debating with myself for a moment, "I mean... If it's our only option, I guess it won't hurt."

She smiled sympathetically, "I'll talk to Nicole about it. On the bright side, she would be benefiting her unborn, hopefully, she'll be on board with the idea."

I shrugged, "Hopefully that's my baby..." I mumbled before starting on the stacks of papers that were just laying on the table.

Janet frowned, "Was there something else you wanted to discuss?"

I shook my head, clenching my jaw, "I just want to talk to Nicole... Like now." I groaned trying my best to stay calm. I felt so anxious about knowing who that baby was for. I needed to be 100 percent sure.

I knew it was mine for a fact but that stupid voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me that it isn't. I needed to take her to the hospital asap.

Janet hopped down from the desk and gave me a tight hug. I couldn't help but notice that she pleasantly smelled like coffee and cocoa butter lotion. "I will call Simon to check where he is right now." she took the papers from my hand and pinched my chin, "You can go rest on the couch and watch a little T.V while I talk to him. And help yourself to some candy and drinks if you like."

Before she headed to her desk, I asked, "You have a couch in here?"

She giggled, "Yeah, I fall asleep in here sometimes when I work late."

I smiled, "Thanks, Janet..."

She grinned and pointed in the direction of her small break room. It was just in a different section of her office. It had a small brown couch and one of those small T.Vs attached to the wall next to a filing cabinet.

I took a seat, kicking one of my legs up on the arm of the couch, reaching into her bowl of mints and chocolate. I left the T.V on the channel it was set to which was displaying a talk show. The volume was real low but I didn't care to turn it up.

"Hey, Mr. Ortez. It's Janet..."

When I heard her voice, I looked over at her and began to eavesdrop on their phone conversation.