Party

Mac's POV

I check my phone when I get up. I have seventeen missed calls from Niall. I know he's worried and hurt but I just don't wanna see him right now. I stand up and go into the kitchen in search for glass. I find one and go to the sink to fill it up with water when a pair of arms wrap around me.

"Happy birthday." Jackson whispers in my ear. I smile and take a drink of water. He takes the glass from my hands. "What do you want to do today?" he kisses me on the cheek.

"I'm supposed to have a party today."

"Supposed to?"

I turn in his arms to face him. I nod. "With everything that's going with my mom, I don't even know if I'm having one. Niall and Nat were supposed to plan it but I don't think I'm their favorite person right now."

He kisses me and holds me closer. "We could always do something on our own." He smiles.

I shake my head. "I don't think that's a-" I'm interrupted by my phone ringing. He reluctantly lets me go as go to answer it.

I put the phone up to my ear and before I can say anything Niall starts to talk. "Mckenzie. Are you okay?"

"Yes. Why did you call me so many times?"

He's quiet for a minute. "I was worried about you. I didn't want him to hurt you like he did last time. I-I just wanted to make sure you were ok."

"I'm fine Niall." Jackson sits on the couch and pulls me into his lap.

He sighs. "Your party is today. We decided to have it here and mine and boys' place. Is that okay?"

I nod and then remember he can't see me. "Yes. What time?"

"6:30 or 7:00."

"Ok thanks. See you then."

I end the call and then set my phone on the table. I lay my head on Jackson's shoulder. We sit like that for what feels like hours.

I feel so safe here with him away from all the problems in the world. He is my own private getaway but I know I can't stay here forever.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"Almost 5. Why?"

I hop off his lap and put on my shoes. "Will you take me by house to shower and change? My party starts at 6:30 so I need to get now."

He nods and stands up. He walks away, then comes back with his shoes on and his truck keys. I'm about to walk out the door when he grabs my arm.

"Only on one condition." I look up at him. "I get to be your date to your party." he grins.

I think it over for a minute. I know Niall wouldn't like it at all. He probably would never want to speak to me again. I almost shake my head no but decide to let him come. How bad could it be?

Niall's POV

The entire house has orange streamers everywhere. It's like a pumpkin threw up in the house. Harry made a shit load of quesadillas and fajitas. Her two favorite things. Orange and Mexican food.

I wrote a song for her and I plan to sing it as my gift for her. I hope she likes it and I hope it will finally make her realize how much I love her and that I always will.

It's 6:45 right now and I'm standing by the door waiting for her to come in. She's late. I start to pace in front of the door. I pull out my phone and begin to call just as someone knocks on the door. It's her. And Jackson.

She walks in and smiles at me. She looks beautiful. She's wearing black skinny jeans with a gold sequined tank top shirt. Her hair is curled and she has on no makeup. I love it when girls wear no makeup because most of them don't need it. They are all beautiful without it.

Jackson comes in and grins at me. I grin back at him. He has nothing on me. She loves me and I know it. But he is in the way. He is keeping me from being happy. Keeping her from being happy.

..............

We're all gathered in the living room and I have my guitar out. We take turns singing songs with me playing the guitar. I finally decide to sing mine.

"Mckenzie it's my turn to give you your present."

I start picking at the guitar and she watched me thoughtfully. When I reach the chorus I look straight at her.

"I can lend you broken parts
That might fit
Like this.
And I will give you all my heart, so we can start it all over again."

As the song ends my eyes are on her. She has no emotion on her face. She's just looking at me.

"Happy Birthday." I say when I finish.

"You wrote that for me?" her hazel green eyes are glossy and big. I nod. "No one has ever done that for me. Ever. I love it. It is by far the best present I've gotten. Thank you so much."

She stands and walks over to hug me. When she leans in I whisper in her ear,"i love you." She gasps and pulls away quickly.

She takes her seat next to Jackson and pulls out her phone. Seconds later I receive a text from her. "Can we talk?"

I look at her and nod. She smiles. I knew this song would give me the chance I needed. And I won't abuse it. I'll take it slow and just tell how I feel. I want her to feel comfortable around me without having to worry about putting on a brave face.

I hate when she does that. That mask she wears. She doesn't let anyone in. And it's all because the people she trusted the most took advantage of her honesty and trust. Me, Jackson, Beth and her parents. All she had left was Nat. Who now hates her over something Harry had done.

She laughs at something and it takes me awhile to realize that I've been staring.

"Dude could you quit staring?" Jackson asks.

"I'm sorry. It's just that she's so god damn beautiful-"

"Shut the hell up! She's my date."

"Oh and how'd you manipulate her to do that?"

She sits up straighter. "I-"

"SHUT UP!" She yells. She stands up. "It's my birthday dammit." She looks between us as if she's making a choice. She grabs my arm and pulls up. We walk right past Jackson and he punches me on the gut. I'm on the ground in seconds clutching at my stomach. He rolls me onto my back and starts pounding into me.

She screams.

Jackson stops hitting me and I look up at her tear stained face.

"I'm done." She whispers and walks out the door. I would've gone after her if I'd have known what would've happened.