A New Beginning?

I knew absolutely no one at the high school I was transferred into. Both my parents and I agreed a new school was the first step to a new beginning. It was definitely a change after being homeschooled for two years. I was now around so many other kids for most of my day.

That meant I had to socialize more often. At that time, I couldn't have been more terrified of doing just that.

What if I met someone who ends up hurting me just as Colin did? What if I get bullied here too? What if everyone knows me as a suicidal dork? Anxiety was my new best friend.

Of course, I was one of the new kids at school, so nobody knew me, so very few talked to me.

Honestly, I didn't mind that.

When I did socialize, I only learned to discover I had "the meanest English teacher" in the entire school. Boy were they right, but if I weren't in her class, I never would've became best friends with a girl who was ironically almost nothing like me. At that time at least.

At the beginning of class, everyday, my English teacher always projected a photo on the board and told us to make up a story about what we thought it meant.

This particular photo somehow resembled how I felt on the inside. The photo was of a figure stepping from the darkness and into the light. My description of the photo was all based on emotions and going from a world of anxiety and darkness into a world of happiness and peace.

As I feared, the teacher picked me to read my story aloud in front of the entire class. I was afraid to speak, especially about the emotions inside my head, but I had no choice.

Honestly, I didn't think my description was that great compared to everyone else's. Especially because I stuttered every other word as I read my story. Anyone could tell I was a nervous wreck.

The end of class finally came around, after what seemed like forever. I was anxious to leave class after that embarrassing story I struggled to tell. All until someone stepped in front of me with a wide grin and exclaimed, "I liked your story!"

How was that possible? Was I hallucinating?

"U-Uh thank you." I stuttered, examining the girl, taking a step cautiously back.

The girl was merely the same height as I was, and had long curly dirty blonde hair with yellowish-green eyes.

"Do you like writing stories?" The girl went on, obviously somehow curious of my interests. "Sometimes," I told her simply, continuing to make my way towards the door.

"So do I!" She smiled, following me out.

I didn't understand why this girl was so curious of me. Even just the way we dressed. Curled hair, painted nails, and clothes that were definitely nicer than what I was wearing. What a typical girl would do. Unlike me. Who was still wearing jeans and a sweater in the midst of summer.

"Hey, my name's Abby by the way!" The girl added, trying to catch up with me.

"Bella," I replied, almost speaking in a low mumble. Not that I wasn't interested, just nervous.

"I'll see you tomorrow Bella!" Abby smiled before walking off towards her class.

I couldn't get over what had just happened. Did I just meet someone new who didn't tease me?

As the days went by, I learned Abby and I didn't really have similar interests, but what we did have in common was a creative mind and the addiction of writing stories. Multiple stories.

What I found so strange was how a remarkably happy person like her managed to enjoy being around someone like me.

Evidently, Abby had a group of friends that have known each other since elementary school as well that had much in common with her as well.

All of them trusted each other and enjoyed each other like family. Then there was me. Not even Abby or her friends knew much about me, and I wanted it to stay that way for as long as possible. But I can't keep secrets forever. Especially from someone who was determined to be my friend, and soon become my best friend.

I, even to this day, believe because of Abby, I changed almost completely. Something I though wasn't possible.

But no matter how hard I try, the past always comes to haunt me.