Part 27: Dipper

After blowing the candles on the cake, opening up some presents and thanking the townsfolk, I pull Mabel aside to talk to her while Ford pulls Stan aside to talk to him.

We both came to an agreement that we believe that both of our siblings will be happy with.

"Dipper, what's going on? You do know that I'm leaving to go home soon, right? I have to go and get my stuff and-" I hold my hand up to stop Mabel's rambling. She looks confused and frowns. She opens her mouth to speak but I speak before she can do so. "Mabel, just wait. Let me speak. Please." I say gentle. Mabel swallows hardly, but nods her head slowly in agreement. She doesn't say anything, so I take the chance to continue.

"I'm not staying in Gravity Falls, Mabel." I begin and Mabel's eyes widen.

"B-But isn't that what you want? To stay here with Ford? Continue defeating villains, going on monster hunts...why would you want to come home with me?" She asked in bewilderment.

"Because I love you, Mabel. And besides, I already agree to go home with you, back when I was rescuing you from your bubble. It would be wrong to go back on a promise. Plus, we have next summer to come back here. And the summer after that. Not to mention that Ford and I made an agreement that as soon as I'm out of high school, I can come to Gravity Falls and fulfill being his apprentice then. It's all sorted out." I reply with a genuine smile.

Mabel opens her mouth to speak, but no words come out. She closes it, then opens it up again, but still at loss for words.

"But..But..." She stammers. I cut her off with a smile and gave her a tight hug. She hugged me back, squeezing me more tightly then I had squeezed her, crying slightly. "Mabel, don't cry. Please don't cry." I murmured as I tried to console her. "You're a dork, you know that?" She sniffled as we pulled a part and whipped her eyes. "Yep! And I'm proud of it!" I joked and we both bursted into laughed.

"Ford, I'm not getting rid of the Shack!"

Mabel and I both jumped at the sound of Stan's harsh yell. Everything went dead silence. Mabel and I shared a look of worry before dashing off towards the front of the Shack where an angry Stan stood next to a bewildered Ford. "Stan, don't you think that the town's had enough mystery? I think it's time to put the old Shack to rest, while you and I remake the Stan O'War and we can go explore the world together! Just like you wanted!" Ford tried to reason.

"Ford, the Mystery Shack is an important landmark in Gravity Falls. Do I want to go and explore the world with you? Yes. Definitely. Absolutely! But I'm not ready say goodbye to the Mystery Shack..." Stan's voice trailed off sadly as he glanced longingly at the Mystery Shack. Ford swallowed hardly. "But...But we can't just leave it unattended if it's going to remain a business. An-And we're getting old, Stanley. How much longer do you want to keep running the Shack for anyways?"

Stan sighed and shook his head. "I-I don't know. Of course not until I die, but I just haven't found someone who I trust enough to hand the Shack over to. Of course the kids could have it if they were old enough...but they're not so...I don't know. Maybe you're right. Maybe it is time to put the old girl to rest." Stan's shoulders slumped. Mabel and I shared a look of fear.

We were both thinking the same thing, or at least I believe we were: The Mystery Shack can't be shut down.

"Mr. Pines, no! You can't shut down the Shack! I-I won't let you!" Soos's voice yelled from the crowd below who were watching with curiosity. I watched Soos push his way through the sea of people and make his way up onto the porch. "Without the Shack...I-I don't know what I'd do with myself. The Shack has become my home. I would do anything to keep it that way. Anything! I'm not ready to say goodbye..." Soos's voice echoed off with sadness.