Chapter four : Not all changes are good

That day he reached home after dropping her.

Man he was tired.

Just when he was about to hit the bed, he got a call from Brooke.

"Where the hell did you go with Haley?" She was literally screaming from the other side.

"What the fuck, Brooke. Chill."

"No,I'm not going to chill. You guys told us nothing and disappeared in the middle of the party ! How is that fair? We spent an hour looking for you guys. Gosh !! Have some common sense!, Brooke said in one breath.

" SHE FAINTED",Sam said with a boast of anger. "She fainted and she was sick and none of you were there with her. Thank goodness I saw her. Who knows what would have happened if I wasn't there at the right time."

"What?! Omg is she okay ?",Brooke asked, her voice went low.

" Yeah she is fine now. I drove her home. She didn't want to come without telling you guys. I forced her to. So don't blame it on her"

"Shit. Sam, that was very nice of you. "

" Yeah,whatever. Next time be careful when you're taking your sick friend to a party. Bye"

"Sam.."

He cut the call.

"Gosh!! Why the fuck is he so pissed ?",Brooke exclaimed.

"Maybe because he had to drive her home and spend his time on her?",Claire guessed.

"No, no, not that type of pissed. He wasn't angry on Haley. He was angry on us for leaving Haley alone. Like he was concerned about Haley".

"We should have noticed though. I didn't even think that she would fall sick" Claire said.

"Yeah. Same"  Brooke sighed.

That night they called Haley to make sure she was okay.

And she was. She was just a little dizzy. She needed some liquids and rest. And her mom made sure she had them.

She went to bed early that night.

Next day, the school was closed. Brooke and Claire came to Haley's house to see her. And to say sorry.

Brooke: Hales, I am so sorry. I was caught up in other stuff and it didn't even cross my mind that you could fall sick. I can't believe I did that.
Haley : Don't blame yourself. Even I didn't think so. And if my bracelet didn't get lost, I would be with you. Crazy how stuff ended up. 

Haley told them all about how she lost her bracelet and how she found it and what happened afterwards.

Claire : So, Sam brought you home ?
Haley : Oh yeah... umm it was really nice of him to do that. I was a lot of trouble.
Brooke : Really? He didn't seem pissed at you. He scared the fuck out of me on the phone last night.
Haley : What ??!! What did he say?
Sam : He wasn't wrong. He was just angry that we left you alone. I don't think I ever saw him get that angry before.
Haley : He is crazy. He wouldn't leave me alone!! I didn't wanna leave without you guys.
Claire : I'm glad you did. It could've gotten worse. Thank god he saw you.
Haley : Yeah...

They stayed for quite some time and left. Haley always had a good time when they were together.

Everyday the squad would get together at school. They would talk about everything, share their lunch, even walk home together sometimes. They cared for each other like family.

Haley noticed how close they were. And how close she got with them in such a short time. She realised how lucky she was. Never in her wildest dream did she imagine to fit in a new school this easy. And even find such good people.

The only person who would be distracted too often these days, was Sam.

Not that he was always with his camera. He was always kind of not focused on the present. He was lost in his own thoughts.

Haley noticed that very clearly. She noticed for a few weeks that Sam was not himself. He was not looking for moments to take pictures, he was not active in the class.

He was taking more time to get out of school, more time to eat. He wasn't even paying attention to their conversations anymore.  She noticed that Sam wouldn't eat without washing his hands. And when he went to wash them, he would be back after almost 15 minutes. He would not get out of class in a rush with the crowd, he would not comfortably hold other people's books, pens or bags. On some days, he was even late to arrive at school.

Haley got worried. She knew it wasn't normal. Why would he suddenly change so much ? She talked to the girls about it too.

Haley : Do you think Sam has been behaving a little weird lately?
Brooke : You mean getting late and all that stuff ?
Haley : Yeah and also he is not as active as before. He even skipped basketball practice that day. I think something is wrong. I don't know why.

Claire : He would tell us. He is not the most talkative but he still shares when he needs to.

Brooke : Yeah Hales. And don't worry. We will ask him next time he behaves weird again.

Haley couldn't be satisfied with the answers.

"Maybe I'm just thinking too much",
she thought to herself.

She hoped her intuition wasn't right.