Chapter eighteen: Wine bottles and heartbreaks

It was college second year. Classes were pretty constant.

But, Sam joined a photography company as junior photographer . Just to gain some acknowledgement and experience.

He had to spend long nights with other co-workers on weekends just to capture photos.

And on those nights, the other workers forced him to chug a few drinks. They would either go to clubs for photo shoots or they just wanted some merriment. And they were too stubborn to let go of Sam. He didn't want to drink.
Partly, because he didn't like it . But more because Haley hated drinking. She couldn't tolerate it at all. Drinking and smoking were two of her most hated things in the world.

So, Sam didn't tell Haley about it. He just made sure that he wasn't too drunk for Haley to realise it.

On some nights, when Sam wouldn't pick up his phone, she would get worried. But she thought he must be busy and threw other thoughts away.

And some nights, he was forced to cancel their dates or plans. Haley was upset. But she didn't want to get in the way of Sam's dream.

Even on some nights, when he would receive her calls, he was not sane enough to talk.

Haley had her doubts, but Sam used to turn them down every time.

And unfortunately, she was too blind to not trust him.

One day, while Sam and Haley were together at her place, his phone started loading with texts from his co-workers.

Dylan: Yo Sam! Gotta get some good pics tonight. And you gotta get some more drinks in ya. You get tired too easy mate.

Sam was in the washroom. Haley read the text.

She was shocked. Sam came and looked at her. She didn't look normal. He knew something was wrong.

Sam: What's wrong babe ?
Haley: what's this?

He read the text. He was not ready for this.

Fuck.

Sam: It's nothing. Their just kidding. Don't take it seriously
Haley: Have you been drinking.
Sam: Hales, listen....
Haley: Sam. Yes or No?
Sam: Maybe. Yes. One or two. It was nothing Hales.
Haley: How long?
Sam: Since I started working with them.
Haley: Last three months SAM??
Sam: Haley please. Just don't be so serious about it. It's nothing. They just forced me to have it and I didn't have a choice. I'll try to stop okay?

Haley: What do you mean you'll try?? That's why you haven't been receiving my calls. Why you woke up so late after those nights. Why you sounded so weird when you received my calls. Gosh! I can't believe you didn't tell me.

Sam: THIS! This is why I didn't tell you. Haley, stop making a big deal out of everything. It's just a few drinks.

Haley: I am making a big deal? You're getting drunk in bars in weekends with other guys and ruining your health and I am concerned and this a not a big deal to you???

Sam: NO ITS NOT...OKAY?! Everyone does it. What's the big deal? And what if I didn't tell you. This is why. You get bothered too easily over such small stuff.

Haley: Great. I'll stop getting bothered.
And you, you either stop the drinking or you stop talking to me. You choice. Take your time. But I'm not sitting here letting you ruin your life in front of me.

Sam: Hales!

She left. He didn't have any words to defend himself. So, he didn't stop her.

She couldn't believe what happened. Three months and he told her nothing.