Chapter 17

Harry's P.O.V.

I sucked in a sharp breath as the medic pulled on my face to open my eye more. It instantly watered and throbbed but my vision was back. I let out the breath I had sucked in as soon as he let go of my face, my body relaxing.

"I have good news and bad news." He said, opening up the first aid kit he brought with him.

"What's the bad news?" I asked.

"The bad news is, you should stay out for the rest of the game." He answered as he wiped around my swollen eye with a moist towelette.

"What's the good news?" Coach asked.

"The good news is he didn't get hit directly in his eye by the looks of the bruising, so he won't lose his vision. He will have a black eye for about a week but then he should be fine." He said, pulling out a tube of medicine. He squeezed a bit out of the tube onto his finger and then rubbed it in around my eye. I hissed at the pressure. "For the swelling and pain." He explained.

"Thank you." I mumbled and he gave me the tube after telling me to apply it to my eye twice a day for 5 days.

"So he can't play? At all?" The coach asked, almost sounding panicked.

"I'm not saying he can't play, I'm saying that he shouldn't play."

"So he can play?"

The medic sighed. "Technically, yes. But I don't recommend it, he needs to stay seated for at least an hour to prevent him from passing out."

"But you said he was fine." The coach argued.

"No, I said he will be fine. His injury may not be major but taking a hit to the face like that is dangerous, if he plays right now he could pass out."

"If he was going to pass out wouldn't he have already?" Sebastian asked.

"Everyone's body is different, just because he seems fine doesn't mean he is. His body could have a delayed reaction and if you push him his body may shut down momentarily from the stress, meaning-"

"Meaning that he will pass out, we got it." Coach dismissed him and he scoffed before grabbing his bag and leaving the dugout.

"Styles, can you play?"

"The medic said-"

"I know what the medic said. I don't care what the medic said." He cut me off. "Can you play?"

I looked at him and then at my team standing behind him. Sebastian and Stanley shook their heads at me and I looked down at my cleats.

"Yeah I can play."

"Good! You're up to bat next." Coach beamed and smacked my shoulder before walking out of the dugout.

"What are you doing, Harry?" Stanley sat beside me, sounding very disappointed. "You shouldn't be playing and you know it."

"So what?" I snapped. "Why do you care? If I pass out then that just means you'll take my spot as the best player on the team! We all know that's what you want."

He looked at me in disbelief and the rest of the team all started talking at me at once.

"Harry, what the hell?"

"Dude, no one is better than you, not even Stanley." Someone said and Stanley yelled out a 'hey' at the insult.

"What the fuck is your problem, Styles?" Sebastian spoke up over everyone and the dugout fell quiet.